Chapter 8:

"This is crazy. You're crazy," Isaac said for the fifth, and hopefully, last time.

We stood in the dank alleyway. The strong smell of piss hit my nose. Backdoors to pubs were ajar and I could faintly hear the fast beat of a heavy guitar.

"Tell me something I don't know," I drawled. The sun was trapped behind a tall, ominous building, causing the alleyway to be blanketed in a shroud of darkness.

"That we're not going to find whatever you're looking for here," he whispered in my ear. His young face could lure you in; a vampire's greatest weapon. To lure you in and then... suck your life out. His silver eyes stared at me with such intensity I was forced to calm myself.

Just a guy, I told myself.

I took a step back and narrowed my green eyes.

"Listen, bloodsucker, I have two knives in my boots and if you don't shut the fuck up, right now, I will use them, comprende?" Isaac's silver eyes clouded over, it was funny his eyes almost looked like molten iron.

Isaac turned his head and I heard him mutter a 'fine, whatever' before he walked down the alley, checking the floor for God knows what.

I rolled my eyes and turned to look at one of the red dumpsters. There has to be something here. A clue, something. Please. I leaned over the dumpster to get a better look at the lid, but what I saw just beyond the bin, and slouched against the grimy wall, had my heart in my throat.

An old man, with greying hair and a bulging stomach slouched against the wall, his face was pale, he had an empty beer bottle in hand, his nails were bitten and his light brown jeans were stained with mud and blood. He looked asleep, but I knew better.

I crouched down beside him, secured his leather jacket around his torso and closed his dull, brown eyes. Two holes were in the side of his neck, oozing blood.

I kicked the wall and screamed. Isaac was by my side in a flash, oblivious to the body he put a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I shrugged his hand off my shoulder and stared him dead in the eyes.

"No, and neither is he," I said, gesturing to the dead man. Isaac turned, his eyes widened and I heard him sigh.

"That wasn't me, in case you were wondering," he informed me.

I let out a wry laugh. "No, but it was your kind. It's sick." Isaac turned to face me, a scowl on his face. He squared his shoulders, I did the same.

"Humans kill people too," he said quietly. He had a point. However, that didn't stop me.

"It's still not natural!" I shouted.

"Yeah? You think I don't know that?" He retorted.

A sly smile took over my face. "I don't know what you think, I don't even know you, and, for the record, I wouldn't want to." Pure rage was coursing through me, maybe it was because of the way I'd grown up, who knew?

With a scowl on his flawless face, Isaac stormed off, leaving me alone in the dank alleyway. Well not alone - there was the dead body next to me. I turned to face him feeling a little awkward.

"Hey," I said. Great, now I was talking to a dead body. I sighed in frustration and whipped my head around when I heard the distinct sound of footsteps. Loud ones.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath. Why did Isaac have to leave at this very moment? I rolled my eyes at this thought, I was a hunter I could kill anyone. Especially blood sucking monsters like Isaac. Curse you Isaac, little bitch leaving me alone.

"Well, well, well who do we have here?" A deep, gravelly voices asked.

I turned, surprised. He was actually a clean vampire. His slick black hair was pulled up in a flick towards his forehead. He wore an old tailored suit, that looked like it belonged in the eighteenth century. His black eyes had a malicious glint to them and his crooked teeth made his smile look vicious.

I narrowed my eyes and started to think of possible ideas of why I was in this situation again - alone with a vampire that wants to possibly kill me, like he did with my mum.

"Oh it's you! The red headed girl. The one with the eyes as blue as ice," He snarled, spit spewing out of his mouth as he spoke.

"Oh. Well done, you can define my features," I replied sarcastically.

This was completely, utterly and obviously the wrong thing to say. A tick was pumping in his forehead and a cruel smile plastered his face. Shit, I was in for it. Stealthily, I bent down and whipped out my two silver knives. Why the hell didn't I bring my jade encrusted stake with me.

Oh, right. Because I was meant to be at school. "You're the one that killed my little friend, aren't you? He bit you, I can see the scar from here. Did you taste nice?" He asked.

At the mention of my scar the wrist of my left hand burned with searing hot pain. My eyes flashed, with the memory of me sinking a silver knife into that bastard's back. Plunging it straight into his back, killing him on the spot. Little fucker.

"Well, why don't you ask him? Ohhh, wait you can't. I killed him," I said. I should really watch my mouth. The shadow of him crept closer. The sun suddenly left the alleyway, making it darker. Like it was night time. Suddenly, the alleyway looked way more daunting. The buzz of flies filled my ears, they were probably feasting on my dead friend. The wet floor squelched like mud as I dragged my feet backwards.

"Don't run now. Didn't anyone tell you that you can't simply outrun a vampire," he taunted.

I stopped in my tracks. Of fucking course. It was just a survival instinct to run when faced with a dangerous predator, but what was the point in running from a predator that was faster than you and would probably relish the chase.

"Okay then, bitch, let's do this," I announced. I crouched down into a defensive position and twirled the two knives in my hands. He copied my stance and we got ready to fight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Who do you think will win?

Hunter vs. Vampire.

Place your bets!