Chapter 18

Once John and Brandon had left I exhaled. God, it was so nerve racking. I was still in my black skinny jeans, though they were ripped now and my faded Nirvana shirt that didn't keep me warm at all. My arms were scratched and pale, I dreaded to think about what my face looked like.

My hair was still in a pony tail, though red tendrils had escaped and were blowing around my face in the swift breeze. My black combat boots were scuffed and basically ruined. With a painful jolt I realised I had no stakes. I felt like someone had just stuck a ten inch knife in me, twisted it around and then yanked it out.

What the fuck was I thinking? I couldn't even remember where my stakes were. Oh, I was in trouble. I couldn't do hand to hand combat with a vampire! He or she would kill me before I'd even thrown the first punch!

I knew my stench would give me away somehow, but I had to get into the castle. It was like, I had this part of me that was drawn to the castle, a piece of metal that was being magnetised towards the looming building in front of me. Gulping, I stood up and slowly walked around the side of the castle.

It was still very dark, the stars were twinkling in the dark blue night, like they were dancing to impress the full moon, which hung in the sky like an emperor. It was a shame none of the windows were open, if they were I could've entered the castle that way.

So, unfortunately, I clambered upwards towards the gigantic, ominous wooden door. If my calculations were correct then Isaac would be waking up now. He'd be a bit drowsy and unbalanced, which should stop him from charging after me.

I was confused, I knew now that we were mates, I had a pull towards him that I couldn't ignore or resist, however much I may have hated it. I was still stumped on how I was a vampire's mate, but then I never knew vampires had mates in the first place.

There was an old, faded wooden sign hanging limp on one of the doors.

All those wishing to
Speak to His Majesty
Do so under the knowledge
That they may not return.

The sign had sent shivers down my spine. May not return? What the hell did he do with them? I badly wanted to turn and run, my survival instincts kicking in, but I pushed them down. I needed to know why John wanted my mother or I. What was so special about us? Was it so good that my own father betrayed me?

I mustered up all my courage, like when you shake a ketchup bottle to get all the ketchup out, and heaved open the doors, begging and praying that no one heard.

Inside, the floor was marble, a gleaming pale marble. The walls were still stone, there was nothing in the room, my guess was it was this way because it was the entry. There were two golden metal staircases, on on the far left and one on the far right, they both joined a more larger staircase further up.

The back wall was concealed by the staircases and the wall behind me, the front wall, was also bare. There were two doors, one on the left side and one on the right. They were opposite each other and were the same mahogany wood.

A crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, it looked like it would fall at any minute. The tiny crystals occasionally bumped into one another, if you listened carefully you could hear the faint clang!

One of the doors had to be the throne room, and the other had to have been the armour room. I didn't know what I was looking for but somehow these rooms didn't feel right.

"I WANT HIM FOUND, NOW!" A voice roared, it came from the left so I ran and hid behind the staircase. It must've been John, but he didn't sound the same. He sounded angry, and his voice was no longer raspy but clear and demanding.

"If he is not found, then I'm holding you all responsible." His voice was quieter now, but it was low and dangerous and full of venom. He wasn't talking to me and even I felt terrified. I heard a door open and then numerous, hurried footsteps rushed past me. The slam! of the castle doors informed me that the guards had left.

The problem was that if I edged around the side of the gleaming, metal staircase I would risk being seen if John or anyone else was there. Sweat beaded on my forehead, making loose pieces of red hair stick to my face. My black combat boots were starting to feel uncomfortable and the hairs on my bare arms were sticking up.

I heard loud, single footsteps. They were quite ominous and daunting. Boom... Boom... Boom... They suddenly stopped and I heard a scuffle, as if the person were turning on the spot. I then heard a deep intake of breath. Shit, I cursed. If I wasn't caught before, I sure as hell was now. "It can't be... that smell... so... familiar... almost like it's her..." a voice muttered. It sounded a lot like the other John, not the one who was furious and angry but the older, tired one.

Was he talking about my mum? Would it be totally insane if I thought that John was actually in love with my mum? I was too confused, all the thoughts in my head were muddled and fighting against each other, I didn't know what to believe anymore. I was stuck, behind a staircase, hiding from one of the oldest vampires alive - or dead, whichever - and as far as I could tell, things were only going to get worse.

The Vampire Lord left shortly after, and I crept out from behind the staircase. I let out a breath that I'd been holding for a long time. Maybe now I could scout out the castle without being smelled or found. That'd be good. I walked over to the wooden door on the left hand side wall and opened the door. Thankfully, it wasn't locked.

I walked in, closed the door and flicked the light switch. A voice erupted from just in front of me, and I jumped out of my skin.

"You shouldn't be here."