Flying Lessons

Aviva got some basic information on how Rowan's wings work and got started on the wing packs. One blue and one green. 

Rowan was giving the brothers advice for flying with wings that aren't attached to their arms. 

"So, you isolate your arms from your wings. It takes practice, but I'm sure you guys will get the hang of it." Chris was taking notes as Rowan spoke on how to fly with wings on your back. It didn't seem too hard. 

The Tortuga soon landed, and everyone got out, they were now on the African Savana. Lots of places good for take-off practice, and not many trees to crash into. 

"Sorry, I thought this was good place before asking you." Rowan smiled at Jimmy, understanding and not mad. "It's ok, Jimmy. This is a perfect place to practice take offs and landings." 

Aviva handed the wing packs to Martin and Chris. "To activate the wings, you just press the button on the right strap." 

Chris went first and two large Kestral wings came out of both sides of the pack. "Woah!" 

"My turn!" Martin did the same thing and out popped two wings. But they were different than both Chris and Rowan's. They were eagle wings. "Huh, didn't think we'd have different types of wings." 

Rowan shrugged. "The members of the flock all have different wings too. I'm guessing that trait is in the packs." 

"The Flock? Is that what you and your friends call yourselves?" Koki asked the girl. "Yeah, it's kinda what we've been calling ourselves. So, it became habit." 

Chris raised his arm, but his wing followed it and smacked Martin in the face, making the blue brother fall on his back. "Sorry, bro, you, okay?" 

"I told you it takes practice." Rowan helped Martin up and crossed her arms while spreading her wings. "Cross your arms and copy my wings movements with yours." 

They listened and had their wings follow Rowan's movements. She then spread her wings slowly, and crouching down, before jumping in the air and slamming her wings down. Course, Chris and Martin didn't know what she was doing until they all took off. 

"Flap your wings!" Rowan was gliding and flapping occasionally to stay in the air. 

Martin got the gist of it and was flying, Chris was the same, both following Rowan as she climbed higher in the air. 

"There you go! You're both getting the hang of it!" 

Rowan did a barrel roll and then spread her wings to hover in the air, the bros nearly crashed into each other when they tried. 

"Woah, you're right, Rowan. This is gonna take practice." Chris was a little dizzy from the spin, but tried again and got it right this time. 

"No kidding." Martin looked to his larger wings. "How am I supposed to fly fast as you two with these big eagle wings?" 

Rowan shook her head. "Fast or not, every wing type has an advantage. You're better as soaring than me and Chris with those wings." 

Martin smiled before getting a call on his device. "Guys!" It was Koki. "There's some nasty thunderheads coming your way! Get back to the Tortuga!" 

Chris and Martin flew as fast as they could back to the turtle ship, but Rowan flew towards the thunderheads. 

"We're here!" The brothers got inside, and Aviva noticed a certain teen wasn't with them. "Where's Rowan?!" 

"Look!" Jimmy pointed towards the Tortuga's main computer, on it was Rowan flying inside the thunderheads. "What is she doing?! She could get killed!" 

Rowan knew the crew was probably watching her. And as lightning struck one of her wings she smiled as she absorbed the energy it had. 

She felt the currents in the clouds with her gut, things seeming too completely slow as she glided through the tunnel of one of the air currents, lightning striking her but not hurting her. The natural electricity was absorbed into her body. 

"Woah, she's in such a dangerous position inside the thunderheads, but seems so calm. Like she's done it before." Martin was right as they watched Rowan use another current to float in a circle. 

Rowan had closed her eyes feeling the wind on her face and course through her feathers. A pure face of freedom soaring through the storm. 

She then dived, straight for the Tortuga. 

"Get the door!" Aviva was quick to open the door and Rowan flew inside, landing gracefully. 

Rowan stretched and folded her wings. "Now that's how you really fly." 

Chris came up to Rowan first. "That was incredible! How'd you absorb the lightning like that? Have you flown in a storm before? Are we going to learn how to do that?" 

She shook her head and ran a hand through her hair. "I don't know, but the White Coats said it's why I was called 'Project Thunderbird'. Yes, I have flown in storms before. And, no, you and Martin aren't flying in lightning storms." 

"'Project Thunderbird'?" Rowan took a deep breath and nodded. "They were making super soldiers. The flock and I are the only successes the White Coats had, that's why the school is so dispirit to capture us. And they made Erasers to do it." 

Martin placed a hand on the girl's shoulder in comfort. "What are Erasers?" 

"Me and the flock are Avian human hybrids. Erasers are human Lupin hybrids." Aviva raised a brow. "Rabbits?" 

Chris corrected her. "That's 'Lapin', Rowan's saying they're wolves." 

"The Erasers were the guards, enforcers, and bounty hunters for the White Coats. They would have killed the rest of the flock and other experiments if I didn't collapse that tunnel. The others probably think I'm dead, it's worth it though." 

Rowan then flapped her wings suddenly and sprayed the water droplets on everyone. 

"Ah! Rowan!" 

"Sorry, force of habit."