CHAPTER 23

When they were out of court, Mr Williams confronted the lawyer. "Why didn't you stand up for her. He clearly turned the situation against her. Do we need to tell you how to do your job? " Mr Williams asked in frustration. "Sir, I know how to do my job very well. Now I may not be as renowned as Mr Miller but every case I have fought, I've fought with dignity. Win or lose, I have always done my part. I did my part in there. If you had included that piece of information before, I would've gladly defended but he had me on that one. I had no information whatsoever and me arguing wasn't going to make the situation better. So before you start blaming me for not doing my job, consider the information given to me. Consider the information your daughter gave. Consider all sides of the story and judge right. Who really is in the wrong? " Mr Davis said.

Mr Williams breathed and said, "I'm sorry. After what happened, I'm shaken. I don't mind if my daughter gets punished for her crime but seeing her attaker roaming freely makes me feel unsafe. What if he does it again or does worse?" "I understand your worry, " Mr Davis said. "Do you think there's anything we can do to save it? " Mr Williams asked. Mr Davis shook his head and said, "It's hard to say. This plot twist could be the end of everything or the beginning of justice. We can only hope for a miracle because by now, every piece of information and evidence has been submitted and we have nothing left to show. Unless we can find evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Cameron did this, we can only hope for a miracle, " Mr Davis said.

Mr Williams looked up and breathed. Seeing that the news was devastating to him, Mr Davis said, "Whether win or lose, karma has its way of making things right. " Then he left.

When they arrived home, Marybeth just stormed into the house and headed for her room. "Marybeth wait. Marybeth let's talk about this, " Mrs Williams pleaded as she followed her but Marybeth ignored. They all entered the room and Marybeth finally yelled, "Leave me alone mom! Or whoever you are! I don't even know who I am at this point. Just leave me alone! " Marybeth said and pushed the door against her. Mrs Williams decided to let her breath.

When Mr Williams came home, his first question was, "How is she? " "She's not talking to me. She doesn't want to talk to anyone. She won't even eat "Let's give her time, " he said. She nodded then shortly dropped some tears. "Today, she said she doesn't know me. She no longer recognizes me as her mother. And you know what? I don't blame her because I'm not, " Mrs Williams said. "Hey, don't say that. You are her mother, " Mr Williams said. "No, I'm not. I could never be her mother even if I tried. I didn't give birth to her, " she said.

"A mother is more than just a woman who gives birth to her child. You may not have birthed her yourself but you're the one who loved her. You're the one who nurtured her. You're the one who raised her. Someone else brought her into this world but you kept her in this world. That's what it takes to be a mother, " Mr Williams said. She started to cry and all he did was hug her.

On the other hand, Mr and Mrs Larson were touched by Cameron's statement. They sat him down to talk. "Is this another lecture? Are you going to call me stupid and useless? A failure? " Cameron asked looking down. "Listen Cameron, after hearing your statement, we realise we've been a little too hard on you, " Mrs Larson said. "A little? " Cameron asked sarcastically. "No, not a little. A lot, " Mr Larson said.

Mr Larson sat up in his chair and said, " Look Cameron, You are our only child. We always wanted the best for you. This business and all this money was for you. We didn't want you to suffer like we did. We had to build everything from scratch. I personally came from a very poor and humble background and things were tough. I was usually underestimated and that's why I started this business because I could never get that high paying job. I had to be my own boss if I needed someone to believe in me. And look at me now, I'm big and I'm even Mayor. I did this for my future family. You and your mom and she went through her own struggles too. And now look at us. We just didn't want you to make the wrong choice. We spoiled you with everything but still controlled your  life because that's what we thought it took. We completely lost sight of what was important and we're sorry. We wanna make it up to you. So, we're going to let you pursue your dreams anyway. "

"Really? " Cameron said. "Yes, why not? Being a footballer isn't bad at all. It pays well and you'll be happy. And if you still want the business, you can have it. Whenever you're ready. Everything still belongs to you. Should we die or retire, you get it all anyway. You've got no competition, " Mrs Larson said.

"Wow, I'm thrilled but isn't it too late for that? Chances are high that I'll end up in jail, " Cameron said. "Speaking of which, did you do it? You can tell us, " Mrs Larson asked. Cameron looked down and nodded, knowing they were disappointed. To his surprise, his father said, "Whatever you did, we were the root of it all. If we treated you any better, you wouldn't go to such extents. Don't worry about it. We'll make it work. Just know that your future awaits you. "

Marybeth was distant after this and no one blamed her for it. They decided they would let her  figure it out.

One day before the sentencing day, Megan came to the house. She requested to see Marybeth but Marybeth still wasn't ready to talk. All she cared about was the verdict and so Megan left.

The day of the final verdict arrived and everyone was wondering what would happen. "The prosecution broke policy of relation and kept it from the court. Which could mean evidence was manipulated to their advantage. The prosecution also lied to the courts and only admitted to their crimes when exposed. Which could mean anything else was a lie. DNA samples were similar but inaccurate on the prosecution side and nothing proved that indeed it was Cameron Larson who committed the act of defilement unless there is more evidence proving otherwise. If there is, the prosecution may come forth and present their last piece of evidence, " the judge said.

The judge waited for about a minute and when no one rose, she said, "After careful judgement of the evidence presented from both sides, the court declares the defendant, Cameron Larson, not guilty. "

Hearing this, Mrs Williams broke. "Noooo! This isn't right, " Mrs Williams cried. Out of frustration and anger, she got up and charged at Cameron but before she could get a hold of him, the police officers around stopped her. "Confess to your crimes you traitor. Isn't it bad enough that you've scarred her for life? Now you want to torment her? Tell them what you did! " Mrs Williams cried. "Order in the court!  Order,  " the Judge said but Mrs Williams didn't stop. She kept shoving the officers away and they had to hold her. Marybeth looked at Cameron and he was grinning at her maliciously. Of course, it's not that the evidence was invalid but that it was made invalid by a simple cheque. Marybeth was frustrated and almost in tears. Due to the commotion, the court was adjourned and Cameron was being led out of the court house.

Marybeth didn't want to believe it was over. She started crying and when she looked down, she saw a gun on the floor which one of the officers dropped in all this confusion, she heard a voice in her head telling her to end it once and for all. She picked up the and aimed it at Cameron. A gunshot was heard, everyone stopped and watched Cameron fall to the ground. Mrs Larson screamed. Marybeth then realised what had happened and dropped the gun. She then saw police officers gather at a spot and people being evacuated.

To her surprise, she wasn't being arrested but someone else was. And when she finally saw who it was, it was Detective Ronalds.