Chapter 3: The Sonaran Federation

Authors Note:

Starting November 14, 2023, Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon:

I will be providing updates and announcements via discord. If you are well-versed in writing and military equipment/tactics, please consider joining the server. I could always use extra feedback.

Discord:

If you enjoy my work, please consider supporting me by using this Webull referral code to get up to 12 free stocks (after an initial deposit of at least $1), or by becoming a Patron!

Webull:

——

Eldralore, Sonaran Federation

November 10, 2024

Kelmithus' boots met the smooth gravel road as the ambient sounds of the city – voices of traders, footsteps, and distant laughter – formed a backdrop. Upon seeing the archmage, the guards by the gate immediately stiffened and presented a deep, synchronized bow, their spears held vertically in salute.

Ambassador Perry, holding a radio in one hand and his clipboard in the other, pressed a button. "Pioneer to Armstrong, this is Perry. We've arrived at Eldralore and are currently at the entrance."

Ron's hand remained on the wheel, his attention focused on the exchange outside. "Once the archmage signals, we'll move up."

Henry directed a question to Perry, "Are we expecting any additional formalities during our stay?"

Perry released the radio button, allowing it to hang by his side. "Kelmithus should smooth things over. I'll handle most of the talking. As long as you don't say anything... out of pocket around the nobles, we should be fine."

Henry nodded and looked back to the front. Outside the MRAP, the wind picked up, rustling the banners that hung from the city walls – one of the star-studded flag of the Sonaran Federation and another of the local duchy. Kelmithus approached the guards, waving his hand. The guards eased up at the sign and the one with an intricate design on his armor stepped forward.

"Archmage Kelmithus," the guard began, "it is an honor to receive you and your guests." He eyed the MRAPs behind Kelmithus.

Kelmithus offered a nod. "Indeed, Captain Arlen, these are the esteemed delegates mentioned in the aethergraph message. Their realm is not unlike ours, with its share of adversities and triumphs. Let us show them our hospitality."

Dr. Anderson peered through the window as the conversation took place and murmured to Henry, "Look at the other guards. They're trying hard not to look our way, but you can see they're curious. The youngest ones can barely contain it."

Ron leaned back in his seat, "Bet they've never seen these metal carriages before, huh? Just wait 'til they catch a glimpse of our steel dragons."

"Who knows," Perry responded, leaning his arm on the door. "It's possible they're familiar with the concept if they are aware that dwarves have steam engines. Though, it might be best not to disrupt the local societies with our technologies. Our guidelines still emphasize a policy of minimal interference."

As Kelmithus' conversation wrapped up, Arlen signaled to a couple of guards who were manning a sturdy wooden barrier arm. Operating a windlass, they lifted the barrier and stepped aside to make space for the convoy. Kelmithus took a moment to exchange a few more words with Captain Arlen before gesturing to the convoy.

Ron revved the engine softly, edging the vehicle forward to pick up Kelmithus. Local knights on dradaks led the convoy, the afternoon sun painting everything in a warm light as they exited the wall's shadow. Henry fixed his gaze outside, taking in every detail of Eldralore's lively streets.