Chapter 4: Intruders

Authors Note:

READ AHEAD: Chapter 5 is now available for Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD

If you enjoy my work, please consider supporting me by using this Webull referral code to get up to 12 free stocks (after an initial deposit of at least $1), or by becoming a Patron!

Webull: https://a.webull.com/gGli6zkc37slwnl0O8

——

Eldralore, Sonaran Federation

November 11, 2024

Bzzt! Bzzt!

Henry felt a subtle vibration under his neck, groaning as his dream faded away. It took a couple seconds for his foggy mind to register the sensation, but once clarity hit, his eyes snapped open. The pager beneath his pillow was the source of the disruption – a silent alarm was triggered.

Heart rate elevating, he instantly shifted from half-consciousness to alert readiness. He grabbed his sidearm from the nightstand and pocketed his vibrating pager, taking a swig from a water bottle before pushing off the covers. He grabbed his uniform from the chair and walked over to the closet, taking the tactical vest and rifle stashed within. With a pattern of knocks, the door opened a fraction, revealing Ron's silhouette. "Tripped laser," was all he offered.

Henry nodded, securing his vest. "Cams?"

Ron shook his head, eyes darting momentarily toward the corridor. "Footage showed zilch. Everyone's gathering – conference room."

Henry yawned. "Fuck, bro. What time is it?"

"Four in the morning," Ron responded.

With a heavy sigh, Henry mentally prepared himself. "Alright. Let's go."

The two men left the room, navigating the mansion's dimly lit halls. Arriving at the conference room, they found the door slightly ajar, revealing a soft glow from within. Henry pushed it open, and the scene unfolded before him: Isaac was hunched over a portable tablet, tracing a path with his finger. Ryan stood next to him, pointing out specific spots on the screen, his brow furrowed in concentration. A cluster of Zulu-9 operators and Sonaran knights murmured amongst themselves, exchanging glances and sharing theories. More members continued to stream into the room, groggy-eyed but tense.

"Yen," Henry began, nodding in acknowledgment as he stepped inside, "Report."

Isaac looked up, holding out the tablet. "The laser at the entrance was tripped. No staff over there."

Ron leaned in, eyes squinting at the screen. "Camera feeds?"

Ryan interjected before Isaac could answer, "All up and running. But there's nothing out of the ordinary with them. We're reviewing the footage again to see if we missed something."

There was a pause – a stifling silence hanging in the air. The weight was broken by an unexpected quip from one of the Zulu-9s, "Maybe it's a ghost, looking for some late-night snacks?"

A few chuckles resonated through the room. Henry smirked but remained focused. "Keep the jokes for later," he said, eyes still on the tablet. "We need to–"

Another alert sounded, this one more pronounced. Heads snapped toward the source. Ryan quickly tapped on the camera feed, magnifying the view of the grand hall. The doors to the grand hall were open, but there was no one present.