Chapter 6: Adventurers

Authors Note:

There will be no updates during the Christmas and New Year holiday period. Manifest Fantasy will return on January 9, 2024.

READ AHEAD: Chapter 7 is now available for Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD

  – –

Alpha Team stood in a loose semicircle around Taldren, gazes drawn to the blend of traditional and innovative elements before them. The range stretched outside of the building and into the woods, with stationary wooden targets interspersed with obstacles that mimicked diverse battle conditions.

Taldren began, "The first phase of this test'll judge your accuracy against stationary targets. You'll be judged not merely on striking true, but on your precision as well. A strike in the center scores highest, with lesser points for outer rings or inconsistency."

He then pointed toward another adventurer who stood off to the left side of the range. "The second phase demands adaptability and quick reflexes. The other examiner over there'll be launching discs into the air. You'll be facing moving targets, a true test of an archer's skill."

Finally, Taldren gestured toward the end of the range where a mage stood ready. "And in the third phase, you shall face a stress test scenario. Our mage'll summon golems, which shall serve as your targets. They'll fight back, offering a taste of a true skirmish. You'll be granted a magic shield – if it breaks, the test is over."

"Your unique weapons will make for an interesting performance, no doubt," he added, facing Alpha Team. He consulted his notepad then looked up again. "Henry Donnager, step forth and begin. Let us see how these contraptions fare in this trial."

As his name echoed in the air, Henry walked forward, rifle in hand. The crisp air of the morning sharpened his focus as he approached the firing line, which was cordoned off by a wooden barrier. Taking his position, he shouldered his rifle and surveyed the range. He counted over a dozen wooden targets, all set up at various ranges. The first three were positioned side by side, a mere ten meters from his current position. Singular targets were set up in ten-meter intervals up until 50 meters. Then, the targets became spread out even more, with another group of three appearing at 100 meters and a final group at about 200 meters. The ranges appeared ridiculous in the context of historically effective ranges for bows, but it cemented just how different this world was. Henry recalled the arrow that hit Kelmithus' window during the ambush, its force rivaling modern ballistics. Magic was certainly potent. Yet, it lacked the finesse of modern technology.

Henry peered through his scope, aligning his sights with the first target. The rifle's crack shattered the morning calm, a sound starkly different from the twangs of traditional bows. Despite the attached suppressor, the sound was still loud and startled the other adventurers into retreating steps. The first target's bullseye splintered under the impact – a perfect hit. Within a second, the other two were hit, scoring perfectly. The sounds of suppressed gunfire drew the attention of nearby adventurers, murmurs of intrigue rippling amongst the blossoming crowd.

Moving to the 20 and 30-meter targets, he maintained his rhythm. His finger pulled the trigger twice more. Each shot hit its mark, the speed of his performance garnering more attention from the onlookers. At the 100-meter mark, he briefly paused, adjusting his variable zoom scope and zeroing his weapon accordingly. His shots landed in the center of each target, the precision undiminished by the increased range.

Finally, the 200-meter targets presented themselves. Henry made a minor adjustment, aligning for the extended range. He exhaled slowly, taking a bit more time to line up his shots. The distance, likely challenging even for Taldren, was comfortably within the M7's effective range. The bullets found their targets with unerring accuracy, leaving no doubt about the engineering of the rifle or Henry's marksmanship.