Chapter Five ~ Filler House

Year: 1995

The morning came just as the night set. The light sound of the birds chirping and the fire alarm going off, which undoubtedly woke up the ones in the house.

"Turn it off!" River whined to Bailey as her older sister was standing on top of a stepping stool to switch the alarm off. "What the fuck do you think I'm doing?"

"What you are doing is never cooking breakfast again." River glared before helping Bailey down the stool as she managed to get the annoying thing to shut off. "It was one mistake." Bailey tried to excuse.

"One mistake that caused my precious bacon to go up in smokes." River fake sobbed, "I will never look at you the same. You are a bacon murderer. How could you?" She pouted before bursting into laughter.

"If you have time for laughing, then help me with this. Don't need to wake up Dad and Pops just because I can't cook bacon." Bailey ordered. River just mumbled, moving along her sister but not before mumbling, "It's not just bacon you can't cook." Forcing her to get swatted by a rag. "I heard that!"

"Good." The younger sister stuck her tongue out and moved away as Bailey tried to hit her again, "Hey!"

"Hay is for horses." Bailey smugly answered as she reached to smack River with the rag again.

"You are not funny." River deadpanned before crashing into the step stool. She mumbled a groan of pain before flicking her finger to Bailey. In which the older sister looked wounded and then snapped her attention to the pan and managed to save the second batch of bacon before burning out of existence. "Turn on the radio." Bailey mumbled as River flipped through the channels until she landed on an oldie's station.

"I'm sure that Dad would love this. Didn't he mention that he sang this with that old friend when he was our age?" River mentioned as her face scrunched up.

"Probably." Bailey shrugged as she switched the pan to under the cold faucet. She picked up the bottle of soap that was in the corner of said sink and carefully washed the pan with her sponge. "When you're done eating, place your plate in the sink."

"You sure? I can wash them. You just made breakfast." Her younger sister tried to reason.

"Can't really call it breakfast, if it's barely edible." Bailey smiled and she chuckled. "You do have a great point there." The other mumbled before finishing off her sentence off by pointing to Bailey with her fork. She got up and placed the dish in the sink and turned around, leaning on the counter. "So you think this summer is gonna be interesting?"

"When is it not?" Bailey retorted, "I just can't wait until Pa's friend gets here. I overheard that two years ago, he was rumoured to truly be innocent. But I don't think anyone with the last name 'Black' could be a saint."

"Yeah well that's hypocritical of you."

"And why is this, oh wise one?"

"Someone could say the same about the last name Snape, both muggle and wizardry." River huffed out before jumping down and heading for the stairs. Bailey called out after her, "Try not to cause any trouble!"

"How can I? It's all with you." River called back as she made her way to Evan's room. Taking a quick peek in the room, she saw him having his blanket over the crib with his legs seemingly stuck in the bars of it. His accidental magic will help him with that, whenever he awakes. Quietly closing the door and backing away on her tiptoes she bumped into someone and almost let out a high pitched scream.

"Stop being a crybaby." A deeper voice rang out from behind her as he helped her stabilise herself.

"Holy shit, you're back! Where's Iris?" River excitedly asked before launching into a hug against her younger brother.