49

Ashton

"Helmet,"

"Got it,"

"Ohhhh you're going with the full head one today? You're gonna sweat balls,"

"I like it, it's cooler,"

"It does look pretty cool. Stay safe bud, have a good day. I'm heading out a bit but I will be back after lunch,"

"Okay. I love you,"

"I love you too,"

I watched him ride off- he loved his bike nowadays. He picked up riding immediately, and now had quite a few helmets and put a waterbottle attachment on it. Other than his games, it was probably his prize possession.

"Where are you going, dad?"

"Gabi wants to meet up for an hour or two. Are you all packed?"

"Yeah. Suncream, my book, goggles, a towel, my water bottle and my phone,"

"Sounds good. Hop in the car,"

She got in the passenger seat while I locked the door, then I got in the driver's seat and we set off for June's house. I let her have her music on, which was heavily influenced by Gabi and Sierra, and she pretty much ran into the house when we got there with a goodbye. That was a relief.

I headed back the other direction to pick up Gabi for her appointment, but she was actually at Michael's house so I went there. Maybe she had told him, or maybe she had told him she had something she can't tell dad, but either way Mike was number one secret keeper for her. I respected him for that, I was the one who grassed but it was only out of safety. Definitely not something like this.

"Hi darling,"

"Hey," she said quietly.

"You ready? You feeling okay?"

"Yeah. Nervous,"

"I'll hold your hand, and we can look at each other the whole time,"

"Thank you, uncle Ash,"

I squeezed her hand, then passed her the aux cable as we set off towards the hospital. It felt slightly like we had to be careful to avoid being seen, although the only person we might see would probably be Calum, and even then I doubted he would randomly be in this ward. I was overthinking on Gabi's behalf.

I had packed us both some water, and made her a goodie bag of her favourite snacks for after which I brought in with us. She looped arms with me on the way- a habit she didn't do as much anymore- then we got her checked in and sat in the waiting room. For those ten minutes, she was honestly restless.

When we got called in, she had to change into a gown, then they did the usual height, weight, blood pressure. I wouldn't say the blood test was made difficult, but I would say Gabi had a difficult time with it which was upsetting to see. She didn't feel too good after, which always happened, but I did my best to comfort her.

This felt so shit for me, because I knew the answer was not going to be what she wanted. Even if it was, it would be so incredibly dangerous for her to become pregnant and I know Maddox would never, ever want that.

"How are you feeling, Gabriella?"

"Overwhelmed,"

"It is definitely an overwhelming process," the doctor said, "Take some deep breaths for me,"

"Okay,"

"Who have you brought with you?"

"My uncle. He always helps me when I am in hospital," she said, looking over at me, "He never judges me, he is basically my second dad,"