In the Dead of Night

Hello reader! I'm new to writing stories like this so as this is my first one......I have no idea if it's good or not. However, I Hope you enjoy!

—————————————————————————

Fear!

In the mind of a 5 year old, Fear is something that can create a dream world...or a demon beyond measure.

In the deep of night, a heavy rain storm buzzes over-head. A New bulletin flashes on a street lit board in the center of the city.

"A YOUNG BOY OF AGE FIVE HAS BEEN TAKEN! THE BOY IS BLONDE WITH EMERALD GREEN EYES. THE BOY IS A WHITE MALE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THE BOYs WHEREABOUTS, YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO CALL THE CHICAGO POLICE IMMEDIATELY!"

Zach breathes heavily, a duffel bag restricts his breathing as he panics. What's happening? What's going on? Where's mommy and daddy? Someone help me!

A five year old Zach hears people talking and walking, one sounded scary and he could hear a few others but not distinctly. Then, he hears two voices that horrify him. The bag opens and there stands Zach's parents, his father, with an oddly marked suitcase. His mother, who just stood there, staring at him. The man with a deep and elegant voice started talking.

"So? Do we have a deal? 100,00o U.S. dollars for this brat?"

Zach didn't understand what was happening. Why was his mommy and daddy standing there? Just looking at him as these men had him tied in a duffel bag. He tried to scream, but the gag in his mouth kept him from making very much noise. The zip ties on his ankles and wrists kept him from moving. Zach's eyes welled up with tears as he heard his father speak.

"Yeah, this'll be enough. Just get him out of here. I don't need that psycho child ruining our lives any longer."

Zach's mind went blank, his stomach doing backflips and its heart felt like it was gonna beat out of his chest. He takes one last look at his parents and tries to cry out to them before the doors of the van shut and he was engulfed in darkness. The truck started and Zach's days in of peace, seemingly ended in an instant.

—————————————————————————

Zach woke up in tears, sweating bullets and hyperventilating. His foster mother, Lenora Zorico, rushed in as Zach had awoken with a sudden scream.

"Zach! Are you ok honey?!"
Zach shook his head and tried to wipe away tears then look at his mother.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just the same dream. I knew it was coming, especially at this time of the year."

Zach slips his legs to the side of the bed and looks down at the floor, still thinking of the dream that haunts him every October. Nine years later, and he still can never escape that nightmare. As he stares at the floor his mother sat next to him and pulled him close; running her hand over his head and holding him tightly.
Zach's foster mother Lenora is black haired and brown eyed EMS worker with a healing quirk. In the doorway stood an older man with a graying goatee and chestnut brown hair, his blue eyes showed a sense of worry and calm all at once.

Zach hugged Lenora with a squeeze and looks up at his foster parents.
"I'm ok. I promise. Zach gives a meek smile. It's just the usual nightmare. I always bounce back!"Zach says in the best chipper and cheerful voice he can muster, knowing that his foster parents will see right through him.
"As long as you're ok. Just... please tell us if you need anything, ok sweetie."

Zach nods his head as Lenora leaves. As she does, Zach's dad walks in.
"Hey champ, you ready for the U.A. Exams in a few days?"

Zach perks up and remembers the exams. Damn, I forgot the entrance exams are in three days. I hope I've studied enough. Zach gets up off the bed and walks to his closet to get clothes while talking to his dad.
"Yeah, I feel like I'm ready to go. I'm the biggest liar ever. I can't wait to give it a try!" His dad gives Zach The eyebrow and retorts
"Even the written portion?"
His dad says with a chuckle as Zach turns his head.

"Uh...Y-yeah. I mean, I think I'll do good. Me and Reya have been studying the written exam for the last few nights."

Reya is Zach's foster sister, a 15 year old girl that looks very similar to her mom with blue eyes instead of brown.
"I think you've got what it takes champ, just don't doubt yourself either." His dad, Cathin, walks over and gives Zach a big bear hug and walks out towards the kitchen.

Zach put on his black adidas track jacket and his jeans. He slips into his high tops and looks in his mirror.

Yeah. I'm ready.