Chapter 1

JENNIE

"Yet again?!" My best friend shouted in the middle of the cafeteria.

She, her twin brother who was my only other friend on this planet and I sat across from each other. Away from the other hungry students, but still a few turned in our direction curiously.

"Can you make it any louder, April?" Four asked calmly while adjusting his large glasses.

Yes, their names were Four and April because they were born on the fourth of April. The resemblance was due to the blue, almost gray eyes and the brown hair, whereby April had dyed the ends pink and Four had dyed a strand of it blue. I was there blue lemming. The two of them kind of took me in when I first moved here and now we were the Three Musketeers, better known as self-proclaimed misfits. After all, who would want fake snakes and unnecessary popularity when you can have real friends and the support you need?

"But hell yeah, can it get any louder!" April slammed her fist on the wooden table and made all our drinks tremble. "Do I have to turn up the volume?!"

That's how she was, a little temperamental but probably the most honest person of all time.

"No, just shut the fuck up." Four sighed, resting his chin on his hand.

He was the quiet one of the two, but don't let appearances fool you.

"But Jennie lets the bitch fool her again!" April whined. "My God, the old lady knows exactly how our lemming feels for her!"

And just as she was talking about the devil, Lalisa walked through the door, a bunch of followers in tow.

Her light blonde hair lay perfectly on her shoulders and the outfit only flattered her even more. She and her poor bunch of cheap dumb knockoffs sat down at a table, Lalisa right in my vantage point. My eyes were literally glued to her.

"Earth to Jennie?" April waved her hand in front of my face.

"Sorry." I mumbled, whether it was meant that way was another question.

"Now honestly." Her voice grew concerned. "Why are you letting this be done to you, Mandu?"

My throat tightened. I love her, I thought to myself, I would do anything for Lalisa to make her happy.

"You're just a 'friend with benefits' in her eyes, secretly yet too!" My friend hissed. "At school she pretends you're air but at three in the morning she demands you to give her a good fuck."

Her brother leaned over and put his hand on my shoulder, without a word.

"She's just afraid to come out, if she's ready we'll get together! Believe me!" I didn't trust my own words.

"She's seen how cool people have been with you and Four, why should she be scared?" April snorted in horror.

She was right in that statement, when Four and I came out as homosexual the whole school was accepting. Of course it was talk of weeks but never hate. Four took his hand away. 

"If she cared about you, she wouldn't be afraid."

Silently, my gaze wandered back to the devil herself and before I knew it, her warm brown eyes were looking back. My heartbeat stopped. She smiled, the corners of my mouth turning up as well.

I couldn't mean nothing to her, could I?