Chapter 2

JENNIE

I opened the door to my house, dropped my bag in the hallway and immediately took off my shoes.

"Mom?" I called. The answer came from the kitchen. 

"Mom number one is here!"

I then entered the kitchen and saw one of my two mothers cooking. 

"And where's number two, at the tattoo parlor?"

My other mother worked as a tattoo artist while this one was a child and adolescent therapist but was on a day off right now.

"Yup!" She stirred something in a saucepan. "And I'll conjure up your favorite dish! Lasagne." I planted a kiss on her cheek.

 "Thank you, mommy!"

Was it weird growing up with two mothers? No, after all I owed my life to them both.
Dara and Chaerin adopted me when I was little.

My birth father had a red slate, to put it politely, and my mother couldn't take it anymore, gave me to adoption and took her own life. My father died of an overdose not too long after that.

Who would want to adopt a child with such roots? Well, Dara and Chaerin, they saved me.
I moved to them which was far away from my orphanage. Went to school where Four, April and I met. I was presented and encouraged to use my own colors, for which I was deeply grateful.
And if I ever needed a father figure, Uncle Mark and Jack were always there for me.

"I'll call you when it's ready!" Dara spoke.

"You're the best." I laughed and walked up the stairs to my room.

There were photos of all sorts of things all over our house; grafitti, flowers, us.

"No wonder I'm number one!" Mom crashed loudly. I countered with amusement.

"I love you both equally!"

Exhausted, I threw myself on the bed, dug out my phone and half-heartedly checked my social media. Of course I also stalked Lalisa's pictures, she was just beautiful.

I actually had homework but video games were more interesting so I turned on my console but before I could start my current favorite game some people erupted in laughter that made my blood run cold.

As unobtrusively as possible I peeked out through my curtains and there was Lalisa with two guys and another girl. Jealousy stabbed my heart when these people went to her house.

Yes, she lived right across from me. Her parents were almost never there for professional reasons, which meant that Lalisa often looked after her younger siblings herself or called me for help, apparently this was not the case today.

I turned away, choked back tears and pressed play.