Prologue

AARAV RAICHAND

You can forget every intense pain you have ever felt, but not the pain in the woman's eyes who gave birth to you. Today, on her 10th death anniversary, all I can do is recall each and every pain my mother had to bear in her life only for marrying the son of the Raichand family. Her in-laws did not accept her because of her low class. She never got the respect and position she deserved to be my father's wife and despite being the humblest and kind woman on this earth, she had to bear the brunt of living without her husband only because his family forced him to marry some other woman.

I remember I was 8, and Maa was waiting patiently for my father to show up on the weekend, which was the only day of the week he came to see us and spend some time. My mother waited for this day throughout the week, planning what to cook for him, what to say, what to update him about me and so much more. That was the only few hours she got with him, despite being his first wife. And every time he was ready to leave, she would cry like a child, hoping the time would never end and they would never separate.

I can't forget her tears and I can never forgive the people responsible for those. I had asked her that day after Dad left back.

"Why doesn't Dad stay with us forever?"

She was blank for a few minutes, as if thinking why I came up with that query suddenly. Then, pasting a fake smile on her lips, she had pulled me closer.

"He has other people in his family to look after. He can't stay with us, Aarav."

"Aren't we his family too?"

"We are."

"Why can't we stay with him then?"

I regretted asking that question, seeing tears in her eyes.

"They won't accept us."

"Who are they not to accept us?" I challenged.

"Your Daadi. She won't let us step into that house."

I knew it. I had heard about my grandmother and I hated her for not letting us stay with them in the mansion. I didn't mind living in a small house with basic amenities, but the longing my mother showed to see my father ached my heart.

"If Daadi doesn't approve of us, Dad should come here and stay in this house," I demanded.

Maa stroked my cheeks and smiled.

"Will you ever leave me and stay elsewhere?"

"NO," I shouted.

"Then how can you expect your father to leave his mother and stay with us?"

She was right, but I was adamant.

"Daadi is wrong, Maa. She got another wife for Dad. She did wrong. I will never forgive her. Never."

The tears that had clouded her eyes finally rolled over her cheeks. I hated myself for doing that to her, but I hated Daadi more.

My mother's kindness always baffled me. She had excuses to portray everyone was right on their stand and I knew no matter how many excuses she gives, my hatred for Daadi will never lessen.

"Aarav, the Priest is saying something," Aman's voice echoes in my ears, breaking the painful memories of my past.

I turn to the Priest who hands me some flowers to make the offering. I placed the roses my mother loved, below her photo. She still looks alive. The picture is so natural and lively that for a second, I feel she will stop me from touching her feet and holding my arms, she will embrace me to her heart. My mother!! She was my world. She still is and I, Aarav Raichand, pledge to avenge the Raichand family for all the pain they gave her throughout her life.

The rest of the ritual completes in an hour and offering the Priest his Dakshina, as a part of the tradition, I make my way to Aman Mathur. He is on call and I know what that is about. Aman has been my sole companion throughout. We studied in the same school, shared educational resources as he couldn't afford to buy. Now apart from being my friend, he is also the Vice President of my company and the only one whom I can trust blindly.

"What's the status?" I ask, sidelining my emotions.

"She's starting for India tomorrow. We have her flight details."

Good!! I have already started playing my cards to destroy my grandmother and my step-brother, Mohit Raichand.

I recall when my father had died in an accident, my grandmother, Durga Raichand, didn't even let me and my mother see him for the last time. I was 13 and old enough to fight for our rights. When Mohit was about to give Agni to my father's body, I made sure to share that right with him. I was the eldest son of my father and deserved every bit to perform his last rituals. That was the first time my grandmother, and I came face-to-face. She hadn't thrown us out, but she made sure I and my mother heard this loud and clear.

"If you think after my son Mahendra's death, I will show any affection to you and this boy of yours, then you are wrong," she barked at my mother, who wasn't able to control her cries. "I don't know what my son has left for you both, but you two can never be a part of my family."

"Don't say so," Maa urged. "Aarav is your son's blood. You can banish me, not him. After Mahendra, all my son has is the Raichand tag. He is one of yours."

"No. Me or my family have nothing to do with him. Mohit is my grandson and the rightful heir of the Raichand family and he..." she had looked at me with loathing and disgust. "He was and will always be the illegitimate boy born out of my son's mistakes. He's forbidden."

"ENOUGH," I roared, pointing a finger at the old woman who had no right to speak to me and my mother like that.

Maa was equally shocked when I raised my voice, but she was too weak to even stop me from arguing.

"I, Aarav Raichand, the forbidden heir of the Raichand family pledge, that one day, you will regret your attitude and decisions, Durga Raichand. And will bow your head before my mother. That's a promise. A Raichand's promise."

And then I dragged my mother away. My grandmother couldn't even fathom the destruction I had promised to cause in her life.

"Aarav?" Aman pats my arm. I was lost again. This day always brings out the worst in me. Thank goodness I have a friend like Aman Mathur who keeps me dragging away from insanity and solitude.

"What were you saying?" I ask, pushing all the other thoughts away.

"I said, the Raichands have sent their quotes for the bid."

Bid! Yes! I am soon taking over all the clients the Raichands ever had and making them invest in my company instead. The AR Group!! One of the most reputed and fastest growing Software Companies in this country. In seven years of start-up, we got listed in the top 100 Software Companies of the world. AR Group was now counted amongst the most successful businesses and bankers and investors were waiting to partner with us. I had no interest in any, except the Clients and investors which 'DG Group' had. My grandfather formed this company in my grandmother's name, which my father took over for however long he was alive. Now my grandmother and Mohit run it together. Mohit is 4 years younger than me and I have heard he is useless in making decisions for the company which is why Durga Raichand never left the Chairman position. Mohit's reckless decisions had made the company lose some crucial clients and I'll make sure their company breathes its last soon. It will be my strongest strike against them.

"Aarav, say something. When are you striking next?" Aman repeats, and I finally focus on the present.

"Tomorrow," I reply.

Yes. So far, I have played my cards on Raichand's businesses, now it's time to strike their family's base. And it begins tomorrow when Jhanvi Sikand lands in India. I pick the pawn from the Chessboard over the table. I love playing chess. It keeps my mind sharp, lets me plot things with focus and immense dedication. Pawn!! That's what she will be in my war against the Raichands.