Part 5

JHANVI SIKAND

My heart races as I get down from the car. I didn't tell Daadi where exactly I had been today because I didn't want her or Mohit to overstress with Aarav's silly drama. But the way things are proceeding between us, it is high time I tell them everything. Since Mohit is in Dubai, I decide to tell Daadi first. But the moment I enter the mansion, I hear Daadi conversing with someone on the phone. She looks torn and worried.

"Advani, we did not agree with this. The contract clearly states we have three more months to make the payment and get the mansion back. You have to give us that much time to pay it off," Daadi shouts.

I don't have a very good feeling about this. Looks like Daadi is speaking to the man to whom they have mortgaged this mansion. I stand there, waiting for her to finish. In Mohit's absence, I will not leave her side during such crucial times. She speaks for another minute and hangs up.

"This is all his doing. That Aarav is playing these nasty tricks to bend us, but he can't. I will never let him win."

I have never seen Daadi so annoyed. I walk to her and first make her sit on the couch. She gulps some water before turning to me.

"What's wrong? What did he do now?" I ask.

"He must have bribed Advani who has the papers of this mansion and now Advani wants us to clear the debt in one week. If we don't, he will sell it off to someone who is interested."

"WHAT?" I yell. "Is this some kind of joke? He can't sell the mansion just like that. You had a contract, didn't you?"

Daadi sighs in disappointment.

"Mohit didn't check the contract terms properly. We missed a clause which clearly states that Advani can sell the property to whoever and whenever he wishes before we settle off the debts."

"God."

I don't know what to say. How can Mohit be that reckless? First, investing in a failed project and now missing such an important clause in the mansion mortgage papers?

"Your wedding is in three days, and all this is happening now? We have no time to arrange that much funds and get the property back."

I am speechless, but Daadi is right. It is Aarav doing all this. He wants their destruction, and he is ready to stoop to the lowest level. But I will not lose hope.

"Let me make a few calls. I am sure I can liquidate some of my funds. Let me speak to my lawyer and team."

Daadi grabs my arm.

"I don't want you to do that, Jhanvi. We cannot take your money."

"Please Daadi." I press my hand over hers. "It's high time you stop saying that. This is my family, my house too and I want to contribute."

She understands my point, and considering there is hardly any other way out, Daadi agrees. She informs Mohit about it, who is again annoyed that all the emergencies were coming up at the same time, so close to our marriage date. We mutually decide to push the wedding by a few weeks. That's the only way to buy some time to settle these issues before we tie a knot. Though disheartened, Mohit promises to land in a day in Mumbai and handle the things here. I have to agree, but I have no time to ponder over the postponed marriage. I need to arrange the funds for saving this mansion first.

I dial my lawyers to check how much funds I can liquidate from whatever Dad had saved for me and how quickly. Despite all the attempts, we could collate only 30% of the debt amount. It's not enough.

Daadi calls friends and relatives, informing them about the postponed wedding. She gives a business emergency excuse, and people actually believe it considering Mohit is still in Dubai.