~Three~

•BARRY•

To most, it would seem as if today was another normal day at the Central City Police Department. A local robbery investigation, some suspects, witnesses, and more work for a secret superhero forensic scientist. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but with the whole undercover-local-hero-with-superhuman-speed thing going on, my life is getting a bit hectic. Also, it doesn't help that there is another meta human running around-literally- with more abilities we don't understand.

It's like there's a thousand pound weight hanging on my shoulders, slowly dragging me down more and more with each step I take. It's beginning to seem like with each advantageous revelation, comes two more problematic complications.

This female speedster is beginning to get in my head. She saved my life yesterday, without even knowing who I am. I've never seen her face before, so she definitely isn't from around here. But, it is constantly told that with more power comes more responsibilty, and she definitely had more power than me. I want to look more into her, but I have a lot on my hands at the moment.

I can't seem to get Dr. Wells' warning out of my head. He spoke as if he held a personal grudge against this person, even though she- whoever she is- protected me without a second thought. I guess there is the argument that she let the culprits get away, but I don't think it was intentional.

All of a sudden I was reminded of another speedster, one I haven't seen in years. Just thinking of that night made me want to cringe, or cry- okay, so maybe both. But I knew she wasn't him- well, it- otherwise I don't think she would've saved me.

There was still that nagging, though. There was still the hatred hidden in Dr. Wells' voice, the same voice that's been ringing in my head all day. Maybe he knew something I didn't, and that's why he was so adamant on me not trusting her. Maybe he thought she really was the thing that killed my mother. Or maybe, just maybe, he knew who she was.

•~•

I was getting ready to leave the crime lab when I heard a familiar voice from down the hall.

"Barry!" Iris called out, her excitement ringing through my ears. I quickly wracked my brain, trying to make sure there wasn't anything important happening today. From what I could come up with in my limited time for thought process, there wasn't. No birthdays, celebrations, get-togethers, or anything else of the sort.

I heard her approaching footsteps from down the hall as I walked to my desk, picking up my jacket and bag before turning towards the entrance. My lab wasn't very organized, with random shelves and machines and papers everywhere. The room was centered around a desk with computers, and the bulletin board sitting hidden behind a pull-down city map. On it was years worth of evidence involving possible clues to lead police to my mothers murderer. There wasn't one day when I didn't think of her, and that night, or my father and his current predicament.

Iris walked through the door frame-though it looked more like a square hole in the wall- with a large, open-mouthed smile on her face. There was an odd bounce in her step, and an interesting glint in her eyes. She was happy, but it was for reasons unknown to me.

"What's got you all worked up?" I asked, hoping that my bluntness involving the subject would be reciprocated.

"Well, Barry," Iris began, nearly skipping over to me and lightly trailing her fingertips along my shoulders. "I met somebody today."

"What about Eddie?" I asked. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard her statement, even though I disliked them together.

When I woke up from my comatose state, I was informed that Iris was in a relationship. More than anything, I was shocked at the news, but I decided to grin and bare it, so as not to seem selfish. If he made her happy then I would be too, just as long as he didn't steal my best friend.

"No, you don't understand," Iris chuckled, "not in that way." She said, pausing as if to prove her point with emphasis. "This was a girl, and she mirrors my own interest in the Flash! Barry, she believes me." Relief coated her last sentence, probably because this was somebody who truly didn't call her crazy for believing in- well- me.

"Iris, we've been over this," I groaned, trying to convince her to drop the topic for good."

"I know, Barry," she sighed, "the flash isn't real, and putting this much effort into him is unrealistic and dangerous, and I should stop immediately so as not to get hurt." She attempted to mimic my own voice, though her low pitched tone only made her sound more ridiculous than the actual words coming from her mouth. I laughed at her poor attempt of copying my mannerisms as well, as she looked almost as if she was seizing.

"You know, I've been told imitation is the greatest form of flattery," I pointed out with a slight smirk. At this we were both laughing, and having gathered my things by now, we linked arms and walked out of my lab for the night.

•~•

While walking out of CC Jitters with Iris after having grabbed some warm lattes, my phone began to ring. I went to answer, but paused, seeing as how it was Caitlin. I knew exactly what this meant, and quickly muttered an excuse for Iris before hoofing down the street to the nearest alley.

"Caitlin what is it?" I immediately inquired upon answering the device.

"There's been a sighting of our meta-girl. She was spotted downtown near the highway." Caitlin stated, and I nodded, before realizing I was alone in an alley. If anybody had seen me, they most likely found me crazy.

"I'm on it." I quickly answered, and went to end the call, but Caitlin stopped me."

"Wait, Barry!" She exclaimed, "She's gone, the sighting was fifteen minutes ago."

"Well then why didn't you call me fifteen minutes ago!"

"Because," she paused, "She stopped an armed burglary, by the same people as last time. She saved the peoples lives, Barry, and I wasn't going to send you to stop her from doing that. The criminals are now in custody, having been found tied together on scene. She's a hero, Barry, just like you. I'm not having her locked up in our meta-prison if she's on our side."

I stopped all motion at the new information. 'She's just like me.' I thought, 'And in more ways than just her super-human abilities.'

•~•

Sooooo, sorry for the late update!!! I promise the reasoning for my delay is valid, and I'll have the next chapter up as soon as possible!!!

~AUTHOR