the family business

"Mordekhai!" The voice boomed from inside the large, empty house.

The young tiefling winced, standing up and running to find his father. Leaving him unanswered for long is a very bad idea, usually resulting in some form of punishment.

He was in the drawing room. With guests.

"Yes, Father?" Mordekhai stood up properly, looking his most pleasant when going to stand next to his father.

He ignored his son, turning to his guests, "Memphir, this is my boy. He's my oldest and I reckon he's good enough for your daughter here."

Mordekhai looked at the girl. She was pretty, but not someone he would like. He wouldn't get a choice though.

The guest, Memphir, nodded, "I believe you are right, Lokman." He looked down at his daughter then back at his host, "When should we have them married?"

The girl looked scared. She looked young.

"Soon as she turns 16."

Memphir nodded, "Should get them acquainted then. She's 16 in a year."

The head of the house sighed, "Mordekhai, this is my friends daughter, Eenoka. You will be marrying her."

Lokman had the tone that brook no argument, so Mordekhai nodded.

"Yes, Father."

"There's a good lad." Memphir grinned.

Lokman hummed, "He is. Now run along boy."

"Yes, Father. Nice meeting you." He bowed to the guests before leaving. He ran back to his room as fast as possible.

Markel and Kiral were waiting there, curious as to what their father had wanted with their older brother.

He growled, "What do you want?"

"Are you okay?" Kel asked, ze looked at zeir sister worried.

"Get out."

Kiral huffed, "What? We want to he-"

"OUT!" He yelled.

He sounded like his father.

Markel ran out, pushing past Mordekhai and running to zeir shared bedroom instead.

"We're trying to help, Mord..." Kiral tried.

"I'm a man. I dont need your help."

She rolled her eyes, "Fine." She walked off to where Kel had ran.

Mordekhai shut the door. He didn't need help.

He would make his father proud. And he would get married to this dumb girl he had been given to.

It's fine.