Meeting People

The extra activity that day lead to a deep sleep for me. I woke at 6 am local time and didn't feel jet lagged at all. After doing a simple morning set of calisthenics, I showered and dressed for the day. My clothes were simple – a set of stretchy jeans that hugged my legs but allowed free movement and a dark green t-shirt with the picture of a cat's face on the front. I gathered my hair into a loose braid because I could see vegetation swaying outside so I knew it was a windy day. Getting tangles out of curly hair is a nightmare so a braid was my best option. After all that, I sent a text to Sensei that I was going out for breakfast.

I was worried about waking him but knew if I didn't leave a message for him that there would be hell to pay later. Probably he'd get my parents involved too. To my surprise, he was waiting just outside his door when I opened my door to leave.

"Thought you'd ditch me, did you?" He grinned as if he had caught me sneaking out for a forbidden date.

"I thought you might still be sleeping," I countered. A sly grin crept on my lips as I continued, "After all, you're an old man now and –"

I broke off my words and sprinted for the elevator when his hand lifted as if he was going to smack my butt. He chuckled and followed right behind me.

"I'm going to take you to Sensei Chen's house for breakfast. We'll be joining them for today's competitions after we eat," he explained when he caught up.

The look in his eye warned me that there was more to this morning's activities than he was telling me but I couldn't imagine what.

When we reached Sensei Chen's house I immediately loved it. It was obviously a newer building but in the older style. The three sides were connected, unlike the ancient buildings, but they still formed a horseshoe shape with a large space in the middle. That space had a small water feature up by the top of the "horseshoe" and an open, sandy area for the bottom half. One side of this space had wooden pillars of various heights so I knew this area was usually reserved for martial arts practice. At the moment, however, it was occupied by three long tables, each of which was full of various dishes and surrounded by people. They were set up in the same "horseshoe" shape as the building.

The people varied wildly in age but most of them were in their late teens and early twenties and most of them were male. Of the thirty or so people in the courtyard, only five were female including me.

I stopped short just inside the door because I was feeling slightly overwhelmed to be meeting so many strangers. Sensei Matthews pushed gently on my shoulder blades and guided me to the head table. There was a man and woman seated next to each other right in the middle of that table. They were the oldest individuals in the courtyard but both were noticeably fit and active individuals. The woman had a very kind face with obvious laugh lines at the corners of her eyes and mouth. I liked her immediately.

The man had more of a stern face but like a soldier rather than like someone harsh. The two of them were clearly a pair.

"Senior Brother Chen, this is my student – Ophelia," Sensei said solemnly when we were close to them.

I controlled my irritation at his use of my full name and bowed slightly to the two of them.

"Pleased to meet you," I said politely. Behind me, I heard murmuring – some of it with hostile undertones.

"So you are Younger Brother West's daughter," Sensei Chen murmured. His gaze was assessing. "He has trained you?"

"Yes, Sir," my tone remained polite but my expression was growing puzzled.

"Would you be willing to demonstrate your skills?"

My stomach growled audibly before I could answer. My cheeks flushed as the people around chuckled. His wife gave the one-eyebrow-raised look that many mothers have perfected for silently scolding offenders to the group and then gently suggested that we sit and enjoy some breakfast first. Sensei Matthews sat next to Sensei Chen and I sat next to Sensei Chen's wife.