Mission

My several greats grandmother chuckled at that. It was weird having a conversation with an invisible person but I was adapting.

"So you're the first in our matrilineal line?"

"Well, the first with this mission. I was granted access to this space, just as you now have access to it, and given the information that would help me to prepare for your arrival and the apocalypse."

"So what exactly am I supposed to do?" This was the crucial question in my opinion.

"I can't tell you that." Sensing my irritation, she continued. "I don't know. I don't think there is a specific thing you must do. You need to follow your instincts – which are excellent, my dear. Just the fact that you left that annoying female alone and left your Sensei to protect her and that boy show that you have the mindset to impress the creator."

"I'm just supposed to... survive and be me?"

"I have been watching you for your entire life, child. Do you remember the essay you wrote about how capitalism is evil because humans are meant to be cooperative with each other and not hoarding resources? Well, now is the time for you to spread that philosophy with practical actions."

"You want me to upend 2,000 years of greed and..." my voice trailed off as the enormity of this task settled in on me.

"Not by yourself," she assured me. "As you go about surviving, you find that like-minded people join with you. This space will help as well."

"What about you? What are you going to do?"

"I've done everything I can. I can only watch and encourage you now. This space is also something to help you. Let me show you."

The fog rolled back and now I could see for several miles around me. At the foot of the hill where the pools were a simple courtyard in the ancient Chinese style appeared. There was a two story building on one end of the horseshoe shape with two buildings on either side.

"Go to it. This will be your base and your sanctum, although you cannot stay here permanently."

I walked slowly towards the buildings, taking in the rest of the area I could see. On the far right of where I walked, the hills grew until they were a mountain range that vanished into the fog. The hills and mountains were covered by trees and bamboo forests. To the left, a rolling plain had appeared with many grazing animals – sheep, horses, cows and more. Birds flew in the sky and I was positive that fish swam in the river that grew from the waterfall and the lower end of the pools.

It took me a quarter of an hour to reach the buildings but I still felt fine and full of energy.

"The main building is your home," my ancestor told me. "It contains all you need to live a simple life, although it has the ancient equivalent of many conveniences as well – such as hot and cold running water and an indoor bath and flushing toilets. There is a kitchen but you need to learn how to cook on an ancient, fire fueled stove – but there's a pantry there with a stasis field."

"Sounds convenient." My tone was neutral since I was still trying to process what was going on.

"The main building also has several bedrooms, three bathrooms – one on the main floor and two on either end of the second floor, and a library that you will want to use as soon as you are in a safe place to do so. The side buildings are storerooms. Two of them are also in stasis fields while the other two have reduced time flow. You will find many valuable resources in the buildings – including weapons and farming tools."

"I see a lot of animals – can other people come in here?"

"Yes," I heard a smile in her voice, "you can bring people in here and keep them safe for a time. But they cannot stay here permanently. They must learn to survive this new world."

My mind raced and I began to get excited. In all the apocalypse stories, I had read in the past, the elderly, women, children, and the disabled were basically cannon fodder. And ordinary people were regarded as disposable while those who awakened powers were granted almost unlimited freedom in their actions.

"So, is the water going to be polluted? Plants and animals mutate? The land poisoned and unable to grow?" I asked. That was the path most of these stories took.

"Yes. Life for humans will now become very difficult," my ancestor assured me in a solemn voice.

"But I can enter and leave this space at will?"

"With a thought," she affirmed.

"My pendant is gone."

"It has bonded with you. See the red mark on your chest? That's the mark of your bond. No one can take it from you."

"I think I should leave now," I stopped at the gate to the courtyard. "I don't know how long I've been here but I'm needed out there."

"Don't you want to know about your power?"

I smiled and shook my head.

"Better I discover this for myself."

"Clever child," she approved. "Very well – you have been here for three days. It's not that time moves faster here, you just spent most of that time being purified."

"Can I talk to you when I return?"

"I will be here but I cannot answer any more questions. All I can do is encourage you."

"Thank you, Grandma Liu."

"You will do well, Ophelia. You are the help of humankind."

I could have done without that last sentence. It felt like a two ton weight falling on my shoulders.

I put my backpack on my shoulders, made sure my hair was secured under a baseball cap, and grasped the falchion in one hand and the seax in the other. Then with a thought, I transitioned back to the inner courtyard of the hotel.