The Oak Tree

They say that no plan survives first contact with the enemy. I recognized the validity of that when I awoke the next morning to several hundred zombies banging on the metal covering of the first floor. Our plan to clean up the front wing was immediately adjusted.

The ground floor of the main wing absolutely had to be cleared out and covered. The broken windows made it an easy entrance for the zombies. But I didn't think the oak tree out back could use so many zombies as fertilizers. It was time to see if the idea I had come up with earlier was feasible.

Before we had even eaten, I gathered up the four men in our leadership team and took them out back to meet the oak tree. As soon as I opened the door, we all froze, staring at the gigantic tree that dominated the center courtyard.

It had moved – which was shocking enough – but it had also grown tall enough that its canopy was almost higher than the roof!

As we stood there with out mouths open, one of the flexible, whip-like branches approached us. The men immediately assumed defensive postures but I held my hand out towards the branch. It caressed my face in a motion so gentle that I barely felt it but then suddenly stabbed the back of my hand, drawing a drop of blood and leaving a drop of green sap that vanished into my skin and leaving my hand looking unblemished.

"Greetings, bright one," said a voice in my mind. It was a majestic voice, conveying age, strength, and wisdom. It was also androgynous.

"Tree?" I questioned as the men stared at me in confusion. They were torn between running from the clearly dangerous tree, attacking it in a suicide move, or grabbing me and then running. Fortunately, they did nothing. Humans stood no chance against the behemoth that was this oak tree, whether they had super-powers or not.

"Yes," it replied in a tone conveying serenity and confidence. "I have opened the communication between us."

I looked at my hand and the small green dot that dyed my skin.

"That's convenient," I told the tree, "but I can't stay here for long. I have things to do. Can you open communication with others?"

I saw De Guo's expression tense at my words. Obviously, I would need to have a talk with him later.

"There are a few in these buildings who are able to accept my gift but they are still trapped in their rooms."

"Okay, we'll bring people out to meet you as we rescue them – but for now, we have another problem. We need to clear out these zombies around the hotel. And we need a line of defense out there too – do you, by any chance, have seedlings we can plant outside? And can you handle the corpses or..."

"I have sent my roots around the building. Some of them will sprout new trunks, leaves, and branches to hunt the fertilizer." The tree solved my problem without any effort on my part. To say I was relieved would be an understatement.

"The fertilizer can be left on any open ground in the area. However, I sense that I will grow again soon. I believe this time I may sleep. Instinct will allow me to protect myself and gather fertilizer but I will be unable to communicate until I wake."

"Wow, you are so amazing!"

Yes, I gushed like a fan meeting their favorite star. The tree caressed my cheek again and then stilled.

"Okay everyone, back to the conference room!"

Once we settled (eating the breakfast that Lin Chun had prepared while we were out), I shared our problem and the solution I had planned.

"I don't know how much help the new oaks will be, but we need to reinforce the ground floor today. That means we have to go around the building. Tank will cover the outside with metal and the rest of us will protect him."

"That sounds like suicide," Tank argued. "How many of those monsters are out there right now?"

"Everyone, except the children and those without offensive or defensive powers, will join. Even those able-bodied people without powers must take a weapon and help. First of all, they need to be able to defend themselves. The zombies aren't going to disappear one day. Secondly, it's the only way to secure a safe haven," I told him.

So after breakfast we got started. In addition to killing zombies, I carried a backpack filled with crystal cores from the zombies. The tree had given me more than I could imagine using but right now, they were melting away like snow in June as the team used them to replenish their drained abilities.

The sun was painting the horizon red and orange when we finally reached our section of the hotel again. The new oak trees had already grown to look like trees five or more years old. They had helped, although they weren't nearly as flexible and deadly as the parent tree. We left the zombies where they fell but most of them were gone by the time we returned to our starting point.

In the café, Lin Chun had been using her healing ability on those who had been injured throughout the day. She had also drained her power several times, as she healed people who were not trained or accustomed to life and death battle. Even I had needed her aid twice when zombies had gotten past my guard.

While we had been fighting and she had been healing, however, the other non-combatants were helping her and then preparing a hearty dinner for us. Lin Chun told me, with a combination of elation and confusion, that the café walk-in cooler and freezer had been packed full of supplies!

I smiled and kept it to myself that I had filled them myself that night while everyone slept. The space my grandmother had prepared for me had tons of supplies. So while there was more meat, grains, and vegetables than processed flour or noodles, there were still plenty of those staples. I couldn't give the children milk powder (but I swore looting some supermarkets would be first on my list after the hotel was cleaned up), but I did provide some honey and simple candies for them along with dozens of eggs.

That night everyone went to bed with full bellies and tired enough that the roars and occasional screams in the night couldn't keep anyone awake.