dear friend, you got here right on time

liam meets an old friend and embarrasses himself at work the reader does some dirty eavesdropping and also pit is there and also happy halloween! today is my birthday (not anymore but this was originally posted on halloween)

chapter title is from neon wound by silversun pickups.

warning for brief mentions of suicide and smoking

You watched from a table as Liam handled the register, the line moving more smoothly than you'd ever seen in your time working here. Liam was a natural, seeming to easily fall into that 'customer service mode' that had taken you months to develop, and even longer to perfect. You caught his eye and he smiled at you as you waved at him.

You spend your days off at work? You could still imagine his earnest, amused smile when you told him you'd be coming in with him.

It had been a few weeks since he had started working here. You were on your day off and decided to tag along with him to his shift. You watched him now, elbows on the table, your mind elsewhere as the crowd buzzed around you. Someone bumped into your chair, cursing, but you didn't notice.

"Those seats are for the customers, you know." You jumped, snapping out of your trance as Pit spoke into your ear, seeming to have snuck up behind you. You whipped around and she beamed at you, easing back at the deer-in-the-headlights stare you gave her. "My bad, Y/N! I didn't mean to scare you!"

"Pit! Pit…uh–" You quickly stood up, staring bashfully down at the table. "Sorry. I was just–"

"I was kidding!" Pit grabbed your shoulder, a little too forcefully, and sat you back down. "Your friend's doing his first solo shift, is that right? I understand if you wanted to tag along." She nodded in the direction of the register. Liam wasn't looking at either of you now, focused on the swarming line of customers. You felt your heart sink at this.

Pit leaned in and lowered her voice. "Between you and me, I think he could use the emotional support. Poor thing's been through a lot, hasn't he?"

Your brow furrowed and you turned in your seat, feeling your back prickle like something was watching you. "What're you t–"

Pit leaned away abruptly before you could finish. "I'm sure he'll be fine! You're good company, Y/N."

"Pit, I–"

"Here, stand up." The cherry grabbed your arm and pulled you to your feet. "Come with me while I have a smoke."

Exasperated, you gave up and followed her.

Pit leaned against the wall just outside the café, pulling a cigarette from her purse. You sat down next to her on a nearby bench, watching the steady stream of visitors enter and exit the building. "So…what did you want me out here for?"

"It's kinda busy in there, ain't it?" Pit answered flippantly. "You're off today, and I wanted some company. Your friend can handle himself fine."

"Is…that it?" You shifted uncomfortably. Pit didn't seem to notice or even care, taking a drag from her cigarette.

"Well, not really. I just wanted to ask you a question." The cherry blew out smoke before looking over at you. "Do you know anything about Mr. Plecak in there?"

"...Liam?" You squinted. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well, he's kind of an enigma, ain't he?" Pit leaned back against the wall, flicking the ashes from the cigarette into the trash can next to her. "I mean, he just showed up outta nowhere, right? Course, I don't know a thing 'bout his circumstances. That's why I'm asking you."