IV. Of Revelations and Tears

Argella stood quietly in her bedchamber as her handmaidens carefully removed the elaborate cage of a dress that had confined her throughout the evening's grand feast. They were just about to remove the final piece when their delicate task was abruptly interrupted by a gentle knock on the door.

All heads turned toward the door, and Argella gestured to one of her ladies for her robe, while another lady opened the door to reveal the queen, her mother.

"Forgive me, child, am I interrupting?" her mother inquired as she gracefully entered the room.

Argella quickly responded, "No, of course not, Mother."

Cersei smiled. She seemed happier, more content, than she had earlier during the banquet or in the afternoon.

Her mother turned her attention to the handmaidens and, with a commanding tone, dismissed them, saying, "Leave us."

With quick curtsies, all her ladies exited the room, leaving Argella and her mother alone. Cersei took a moment to savor the power she held over her ladies, knowing they left out of fear.

Argella observed her mother closely, watching as the queen's beautiful features shifted from wicked to soft as she turned her gaze back to her daughter. Cersei was, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman in all the Seven Kingdoms, but her beauty could never outshine the memory of a deceased woman. Argella knew that all too well.

Her mother took the opportunity to truly observe her daughter, taking in the changes she saw. Argella noticed the pride in her mother's eyes and immediately understood its source.

When she was a young girl, people often told her that she was the spitting image of Robert Baratheon, albeit with softer features and a certain cunning in her eyes. Argella had always felt a hint of unease when compared to a man. But as she grew older, opinions had shifted, and people now said she was the spitting image of Cersei Lannister, with her dark hair and blue eyes.

"You haven't removed the pins from your hair," her mother pointed out.

Argella reached up to her hair and realized that her handmaidens had likely forgotten to take them out.

"Here, let your mother help," Cersei offered, taking a seat next to her.

Argella allowed her mother to guide her as she sat in front of her vanity. Cersei picked up the hairbrush and began to comb her hair gently.

"You were just a child when you left, and now you return to us as a woman. I can't believe I've missed four of your namedays," Cersei mused.

"You've missed them, but you haven't forgotten, Mother," Argella replied.

Cersei chuckled, "I remember the letters you wrote when you received my gifts. You were so happy."

"I loved the gifts you sent me."

"I knew you would, for if someone gave me gifts, I would want those. You have more of me in you, child," Cersei said, her voice tinged with pride.

Cersei set aside the hairbrush and wrapped her arms around her daughter's shoulders. She stood behind Argella, looking at their reflections in the mirror as the princess did the same.

"Why did you have to be gone for so long?" Cersei asked, placing a loving kiss on her daughter's hair.

"You know why, Mother. I wanted to learn from Grandfather, the way you and your brothers did."

"I could've taught you," Cersei countered, her voice gently teasing. Argella smiled, well aware that her mother was more than capable of imparting her knowledge. However, compared to the genius of Tywin Lannister, Cersei Lannister felt less significant. Argella had been wise enough to choose to learn from the latter, but there was no need to tell her mother that.

"I am here now, Mother. I will learn from you from now on," Argella assured her as she held her mother's hands in her palms.

The princess, noticing a faint mark on her mother's cheek, questioned, "Has he mistreated you?" The mark was healing, making it difficult to discern, but Argella had seen it. A dark sense of foreboding knotted in her stomach, and for once, she yearned to act violently.
Argella cherished her family above all else, but the conflicting hatred within her family left her feeling constrained for the first time in her life.

"It's nothing to be concerned about, my love. I can certainly handle myself when it comes to Robert."

"I hate it when he lays a hand on you. I'll never let him hurt you again as long as I am here, I swear it."

"You are very brave, my love. Thank you."

Cersei guided Argella to her bed and tucked her in. The princess allowed her mother's tender gestures and watched the small, genuine smile that played on her mother's lips as she smoothed out the furs covering her. People often claimed that Cersei Lannister's smiles were never genuine, that they were empty and rehearsed, but that was true for others, not for her children and her brother. Cersei smiled only for them.

"I'm glad you didn't hate me, Mother," Argella quietly admitted.

Cersei, taking offense, furrowed her brow, "How could I hate you?"

"You hate my father, and I am my father's child. I am just glad you did not resent me for it," the princess explained.

"I am a mother. A mother cannot help but love her children-all of her children," Cersei replied. She paused and then stood up, walking to the wine tray to pour a glass for herself. Argella's gaze remained fixed on her mother, unable to look away.

"But I admit I hated you for a while," Cersei confessed, her voice tinged with bitterness. Argella was hardly surprised by this revelation. Any woman who had endured a marriage to a man like Robert Baratheon would undoubtedly resent the offspring of such a loveless union.

Cersei turned to face her daughter, as if waiting for their eyes to meet before she moved to the window. The queen stood there, gazing into nothingness, resembling a portrait in a frame.

"It seems you know your father. You know he is kind to you and he adores you, but he never extended that same courtesy to me," she mused.

Argella nodded in agreement, stating, "I know. My father is a great warrior but a terrible husband and an even worse king."

Cersei couldn't help but snort in response, saying, "Yes, he is terrible."

"You were not supposed to exist," her mother declared. Argella was taken aback by this revelation and tried to sort through the mix of emotions that surged within her.

"No, I tried to get rid of you. When I found out that your pig of a father had gotten me pregnant, I sent Jaime to find someone who would cleanse me of his seed. They gave me a concoction to drink to..." Cersei stole a quick glance at her daughter and then looked away as she continued, "...kill you."

"And I drank it heartily, willingly. I had no hesitation, no remorse. But you did not die. No, you held onto my womb. I imagine your tiny little hands clinging to me, refusing to let go. You refused to die."

Cersei turned back to face her daughter, her confidence and guilt cast aside, and proclaimed, "That's when I realized that you are not your father's child but mine. You are MINE."

Cersei took slow, deliberate steps back to her daughter's side, continuing her narrative.

"So I let you live. I gave birth to you, took care of you. I wouldn't even let anyone touch you. I labored for a day to bring you into this world. I was in so much pain, I almost cursed you. I cried so hard, and then I laughed. I realized it was your retribution; you were punishing me for almost trying to get rid of you. So I laughed harder because that is exactly what I would do to those who would dare harm me."

Cersei cradled Argella's tiny face in the palms of her hands once she reached her side again, looking intently into her daughter's eyes, ignoring the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"You are ME. And you are MINE; my black lion; my beautiful black-haired lion."

Argella melted in her mother's embrace, crying softly. Cersei hushed her and held her daughter even tighter.

"There is nothing you could do that would make me hate you," Cersei added, with a hint of emotion in her voice.

Argella choked back a sob. Oh, I think there is, Mother. And I doubt you'll see me as your daughter again once I get it done.