2

Xiao Zhan stood in the break room leaning against the counter. His arms were folded over his chest and he had tears in his eyes. He never actually thought about handing this business over to someone else. Zhan loved running the store more than he ever expected. He didn't want some big company thinking they can do whatever they want.

Xuan Lu entered the break room and gave him a small smile, "they are gone," she said.

"A'Lu, I can't give this place up," Zhan said, "and I won't."

"I know, but I don't think it was their intention to actually take the place, they just want to help you expand, make it bigger and get more people. This bookstore has been popular for a long time and it would be beneficial for it to have help from a larger company. I suggested collaborating through a contract first to see how that goes. They can't make any changes without your approval. You have a degree in business so you know how to make deals," she explained.

"I know, but like I said, this is also my home. If I do this, I would have to live somewhere else," Zhan said.

"You know A'Cheng and I have offered you to come stay with us, we have another room for you if you need it," Xuan Lu told him, "just think it over. They will be back in a few days so maybe you can think of some terms on your end. They said you'd still run the business so you wouldn't lose the place."

"I know, and I appreciate it," he said, "I just don't think I can do it."

Xuan Lu sighed, "I know, just don't overthink too much but it is up to you in the end."

Zhan nodded, "thank you," he said, "are the others back from their break?"

"They are," she said.

"Let's get back to work then," Zhan said.

"Did you even eat lunch today?" Xuan Lu asked. Zhan was silent. Xuan Lu smiled, "I will handle things here, you do get something to eat. You need to eat Zhan."

"Yes Mom," Zhan said and went up to his apartment to have lunch. Xuan Lu giggled and shook her head before returning to work. While Zhan was upstairs, he had more privacy to think. He just made a sandwich and a class of milk and sat at the island in his kitchen to eat.

Why my bookstore? My family wouldn't give it up for the world, he thought. He looked at a picture on the wall of him with his mother and grandparents. He was young at the time and he held an open book over his head like a hat.

"This bookstore is more than a store for books. It holds memories of five generations of our Family history," he would remember his grandfather say, "the antiques we have go all the way back to the Ming Dynasty of five hundred years ago. If anyone tries to take advantage of our history, it may all be forgotten."

"wàigōng (grandfather on maternal side), I promise to remember this. I will tell our history," Little Zhan said to his grandfather.

"Good boy," his grandfather said.

Zhan had tears in his eyes. He looked at the business card in his hand, Wang Corporations was in big bold letters and the two men who stopped in earlier were the two who were listed for contacting on the card. If they wanted to try and take this place from him, then they will have a nice history lesson first. Zhan decided to call them later and go back to work. He put his plate and glass in his dishwasher and went back on his way.

Wang Yibo and his brother decided to go to one of their favorite restaurants for lunch. They called in ahead of time for a private table for two. He and Haikuan had just ordered their meals so they were just waiting for their food to arrive.

"You watched the man from a distance a couple times, seeing him in person, how does that change things?" Haikuan asked.

"He is definitely stubborn but I can understand why he loves his shop. If it really goes back five generations within his family, I do not think I want to pursue our idea of expanding. I thought if we helped him by creating a bigger space and something more modern he would be all for it," Yibo said.

"Sometimes history is good too," Haikuan said, "if he wants to discuss terms, why not hear about the history. We don't have to be modern, we can create a place that enhances the history. Five generations would go back to the Ming dynasty. That is a lot of history, and from the antiques they had, I have never seen some of them and they may be authentic. They could be authenticated and have a permit place at the shop. Xiao Zhan said he also lived in the apartment above the shop. Maybe we can help him by improving his home."

Yibo nodded, "it is a lot of work but I do like the idea. Not many companies do that anymore. Since taking over, we promised that we would make a difference for our family's company. I think this could do it. We just need Xiao Zhan to work with us. We won't change anything major but we can help improve."

"This is why we need to give him time to think about it. We can sit down and talk with him again," Haikuan said.

Yibo nodded, "what did you think of him?"

"He seems like a good man," Haikuan said, "like he will do anything for the sake of his loved ones. I can tell he may be one of those people who thinks of others before he thinks of himself. If this correlates to his family's bookshop, it would make sense."

Yibo nodded, "that woman that spoke up for him, she seemed like she knows how to reason with him," he said, "we can have Haoxuan look into his background a bit more."

"Might not be a bad idea," Haikuan said, "and it is best that we try to work with Zhan before another competitor comes along."

"Oh I agree," Yibo said, "We will keep this project under wraps."

"Alright," Haikuan agreed.