Chapter 42 - Shepard

Chaos. That was the only word that could describe the battle. Fire billowed out of windows and doors as pieces of rock fell to the ground. Screams and cries cut through the air like a knife. A child with tear stained cheeks ran across the street clutching a cloth doll in her arms. Soldiers fought in the streets. Bodies lay on the ground covered in blood and dirt. Veils ran through the streets looking for safety, their pairs nowhere in sight. One held her broken mask in her hands as she limped through the streets. Her hair blew wildly in the smoke, blood dotted her face. She turned as footsteps moved toward her. Her scream never left her throat as a blade drove into her chest. The veil dropped to the ground, her eyes not closing. The man ran past her body and down an alley. He cut through a Gresa soldier and kept running. The adrenaline pumping through his body forced him to keep moving even when his foot slipped on a liquid substance. He didn't dare to look. The man ran out onto the street and looked for his captain. A blade cutting through his back stopped his search. Footsteps moved through the streets as a group of civilians ran towards the city's exit. Many didn't make it, as arrows rained down on them. Their bodies lay on the battlefield as Gresa soldiers, veils, and pairs fought back against the Uska invaders. Many of the Uska soldiers were cut down and their bodies were sprawled out on the ground. Shepard watched the battle from a distance, occasionally replaying the queen's orders. From his spot above the city he could see everything. The ledge he and a small group of soldiers stood on sat just outside the city's walls. Shepard smiled as he watched the fight consume the entire city.

The battle raged all through the day and into sunset. It wasn't until the king's limp body was mounted on a spike, did the battle cease. Slowly swords and weapons were thrown onto the ground as men and women were put in chains and walked out of the city. The Gresa flags were torn down and set ablaze alongside bodies of fallen men. Veils were stripped of their masks and many were executed. The living pairs were taken from the city despite the veils' attempts at stopping them. Any soldier who refused to bow to Etec Shoa was executed. It didn't take long for the men to change their loyalties when their life was put at risk. Only after the battle was finished and the bodies burned did Queen Nian Zhen and Queen Najuma enter the city. Shepard escorted them through the streets, allowing them to look at the destruction that the battle caused. They took their time walking until they reached the small castle. The wooden doors were broken and hanging off the hinges. Soldiers walked through the castle gathering servants and a few remaining Gresa soldiers. The queens entered the throne room and took in its demolished state. Chunks of rocks were thrown into the floor, cracking it. The throne was tossed on its side and had broken in half. Shepard stood quietly behind the queens as they took in the sight.

"I see why she didn't want to see this," Queen Najuma said quietly. Nian Zhen nodded.

"She gave us correct information," Nian Zhen stated. "I expected some of it to be false but none of it was." Najuma nodded in response.

"Your majestys, if I may?" Shepard said, glancing at the two queens. Najuma nodded for him to continue. "The battle went well but Sybil did withhold information from us."

"How so?" Nian Zhen asked, looking at Shepard expectantly.

"During the battle an artifact was used to incapacitate a large volley of soldiers. They had an Onyx Stone and used it to lock nearly 1,000 men in a cage of darkness. Thankfully the stone was destroyed before all of the men killed one another. The stone was destroyed and the pieces turned to dust." Nian Zhen glanced at Najuma.

"Is it possible she was unaware of the stone?" Najuma asked, her voice hopeful. Shepard kept himself from shaking his head. She was a foolish woman to think the Aether Blood would not know what magic lies behind the walls of the city she once ruled. Nian Zhen sighed and glanced around the room.