Prologue

A/N ; before we get started, I'll lyk that there's some graphic stuff in here. Mentions of cults, sex and sexual trauma, religious mumbo jumbo, gangs, murder, and so on. Read with caution.

ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ

On the top floor of a magnificent manor, sprawled between a valley, a group sits in a sunroom. In the bay window overlooking a glittering lake, sits an angel, painting a potted plant in front of him. Four girls lay on their bellies in the middle of the floor, popcorn reading from a Bible. A fine, elegant man by the name of Linus listening to the verses from his armchair. The white color of the angels' tunics are tinted with the colors of the rainbow by the stained glass filling each window aside from the one the angel, Avery, perches in front of, legs folded underneath himself. The lake outside draws Avery's blue eyes to gaze out across the water with its shimmering reflections. When Avery's attention is pulled back towards the girls as one trips over her words, Linus' eyes are fixed onto him. His brows are low and his pupils dilated, making his eyes look dark and vicious, his lips pulled into a thin line. Avery lowers his brush, looking towards the painting. His heart thumps in his throat and comes out of his mouth.

"Father, I want to see the lake," He says, quite suddenly. There's a tense silence hanging in the air for a few moments, and Avery wishes he could rein in those words and forget they'd ever been said.

"You can see the lake, Avery. It's right there, through the window," Linus says softly, his voice airy and almost indifferent, although his averted gaze is condescending, as if he can't be bothered with Avery's request.

"No, Father. I want to see the lake. Right in front of me," Avery whispers, his voice uncannily loud in the tense silence. He's already spoken, and now it seems he can't stop, each thump of his heart pumping out another word that he regrets saying.

"Avery, do you understand what you're saying?" Linus asks. He stands, and casts a cool look at the girls. They gather their items and stand, hurrying out of the room single file. Avery pulls away, brows pulling up and together, clutching at his tunic. "Do you understand why I keep you so hidden? So protected?" Linus asks, catching the end of Avery's wings, running his fingers over those silken feathers. Avery stares as Linus lifts a feather into a beam of sun, and golden emblems illuminate on their ends. Ornate, lacey patterns that glitter in the sun against the soft white feather. Avery nods. "Then tell me," Linus murmurs, dropping the feather.

"I... am a temptation. A product of purity, which can be so easily soiled," Avery whispers, and Linus nods, reaching a hand down to cup Avery's cheek. His other hand extends down to lift Avery's paintbrush, dipping it in the red paint. He holds the brush over Avery's glass of clean water, and the paint drips off of the soft bristles. The clear water swirls with red and the color overtakes the water, turning it a shade of translucent. Linus lowers the brush, menacingly twisting it around in the water until it's opaque and red.

"After everything I do for you, Avery. I feed you... I clothe you. I protect you. I resist my own temptation to ensure that you. Remain. Clean," He whispers, setting the brush down and picking up the water in its place. "And yet you, as ungrateful as a human toddler, still want more. Beware, Avery. I will grant your wish," Linus hisses through his teeth, tipping the cup, allowing the red water to pour onto Avery's white tunic, turning the fabric translucent and red, ",but do not become complacent towards the beckoning of the devil. It only takes one drop, and watch how those sins spread and strip you naked." Linus spits. Avery can't pull his eyes away as the red water seeps along the fabric, up his thighs, until the damp fabric clings to his hips.

Avery spends the rest of the afternoon and evening in silence, listening to the girls read from their Bibles. He tries not to think of where Linus is, because thinking of Linus makes him think of red crawling up over his skin like vibrantly colored roaches. Like a devil who's been prayed to and beckoned, Linus steps into the room. His cold eyes cast over the girls, before landing on Avery. With a nod of his head and a beckoning hand, Avery stands and slowly follows Linus, reaching out to take that demanding hand. With a glance back towards the girls, he finds their eyes fixed on him with a strange intensity, their Bibles forgotten.

"Where are we going, Father?" Avery asks, his hands trembling. He doesn't meet Linus' eyes, and the responding sigh has him shriveling inside.

"I'm showing you what it's like outside, Avery. I'm giving you what you want." He responds loftily as he approaches the heavy oak doors. Avery can feel the color draining from his face, glancing from side to side as the masked guards that prowl the manor flank him, blocking his exit should he decide to run, as the way he recoils predicts he might try. Avery stares in horror as Linus shoves the door open, and Avery feels the heat of flames lapping at his cheeks, illuminating the dim hall with flickering light. The clamor from within the courtyard beyond the doors is deafening, illuminated by torch-lamps at every corner. Avery's bare feet scrape against the rough limestone porch as Linus drags him forward despite his fighting. Avery's desperate cry for mercy is drowned out as the crowd howls, held back by an iron gate, arms reaching through, hands outstretched in an attempt to grope at the divine, disease-riddled skin bruised in desperation for healing. "Do you hear them, Avery?" Linus whispers, lips brushing Avery's ear, chest pressed firmly to his shoulder blades, fingers teasing Avery's honey blond curls and stroking his soft, round cheek.

"Listen to them. They howl like the dogs that they are. They beg for your blood, and do you think they'd stop there? They'd uproot you, devour you from your source." Linus murmurs, eliciting a terrified whimper from Avery. Linus' hand falls, holding a small, sharp blade. He steps closer to the gate, holding Avery just out of reach of the ravenous masses, who wail and beg. Avery's attempt to keep himself from getting any closer is feeble, far too focused on the knife in Linus' hand. Avery's legs buckle and Linus holds him up around the ribs as that knife slowly but carefully carves into his flesh. It rips his tunic and parts his skin, the open wound empty for a few seconds before crimson blood slowly beads up and drips down his leg. Linus slides a finger into the wound, drawing an agonized scream from Avery, despite the way he stands patiently still, begging for the lesson to be over and done with. Linus licks the red from his finger with a shiver, before coating his palm with the hot, sticky blood and extending it towards the gate, which rattles and groans as the crowd frenzies.

"Look at them, angel." He coos, hand lifting to hold Avery's jaw, forcing him to stare as the first row of the crowd fight to lick Linus' hand clean. "What did I tell you? Like dogs. Foul, rabid dogs. They'd bite right into your flesh if they could. That's all this world is. Forsaken by God. And you're so ready to allow these creatures to defile you." Linus chides, edging Avery just close enough for fingers to graze his skin, grasping at his tunic and pulling, trying to drag him closer in the hopes of even touching the elixir of blood that trickles down his leg.

ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ

Thanks for reading :)