ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ

Avery's awakening comes with an unbearable sort of sadness. He awakens to the wet sounds of a persistent storm outside, and an aching yearning for his home. His room, littered with shed feathers, soft down lining his unkempt bed. He misses the cold stone as he makes his way to the dining hall for a simple breakfast of fruit and cheese. This isn't that. He despairs over the creaks of the high rise apartment as the wind pummels its well-made structure. He curses the smooth, glossy wood floors that prove to be less soft than the limestone floors that he's used to. He wishes he could sleep through the night, despite his wakefulness all night last night and his slumber through the day afterward.

Even worse yet, is Austin's menacing presence in his doorway. Different from how he'd been this morning, agitated and threatening as Avery's absentminded fingers yank feather after feather from its delicate flesh. His eyes are attracted to Austin as he moves to pick up the feathers littered around his space. Is that what had caused his alarming attitude? And before he can move past that thought, Austin is reaching out for him. His brain feels like it's moving at a third of its normal speed as he studies Austin's hand, feathers clutched tight into his own. Right, the feathers. He extends them, setting them in Austin's palm with a quiet apology. Why is he even apologizing? He's unsure why, but it seems right.

His brain is too foggy and laden to register Austin's words, only that his tone had returned to the velvety smooth tone he remembers from that morning. He watches Austin turn and walk away, and his heart squeezes tight, racing it's way up his throat. He fumbles to his feet, silently pacing after Austin. He pauses in the doorway, scanning the spacious living area. Austin is quickly forgotten as his eyes rest on the floor to ceiling window at the far end, nestled in the nook that makes up the living room, where a sofa and loveseat nestle together in front of a tv.

Avery ventures out past the door frame, cautiously making his way towards that window, splattered with droplets from the dark clouds overhead. He stares down below at the lights that rove past. Glittering as the droplets catch onto the light, scattering it. Streetlamps and cars illuminate the streets, umbrellas moving along from below as they conceal the carriers taking refuge beneath them, the sounds of chatter drowned out by the rain. Looking up, he can see the skyline of the city, squares of light smattered across the view, signs of people in their homes and work. Avery slowly moves to sit, hugging his knees to his chest as he watches the tireless movement of the city. Carefully rustling and adjusting his wings, so as not to cramp them, or sit on the fraile tips. He can hear Austin moving behind. He turns to look over his shoulder at Austin as the freezer door opens.

He idly watches as Austin prepares something that he can't see, looping his arms loosely around his knees.

"Did you sleep?" Austin asks as he puts something in the oven, concealed behind the kitchen island. Avery nods.

"Yes. Did you?" He asks. Austin casts him a glance over his shoulder, as if surprised, before he utters a short grunt of amusement. It reminds him of the low grunts of a satisfied bear as it scratches against a tree.

"Yeah, I slept fine." Austin responds good-naturedly. "Are you finally talking now?" He teases as he approaches. Avery can't help but recoil a bit, watching as Austin approaches as sits on the sofa next to him, stretching out.

"Maybe I shouldn't. Encouraging you doesn't seem like a wise course of action." Avery retorts, eyes fixing onto Austin as he extends himself over the couch, his tight tank top dampened around the hems, and loosely tied sweatpants hanging low on his hips. Avery is reminded of the worn smell of the shirt he's wearing, and twists the shirt around his fingers. Do all of Austin's clothes share that smell? Or does he have a set of newer clothes?

When the oven beeps, his eyes flick up to Austin's, who watches him with a darkened expression. Avery swallows thickly and looks away.

"Sorry," He whispers, drawing in a careful, strained breath.

"Don't be." Austin responds slowly, fingers picking at his torn- up cuticles. Avery looks back towards Austin with furrowed brows and narrowed eyes. It's different from Linus' typical "you're not in trouble" or "I'm not mad at you", but it somehow seems to be in the same vein. Not as if Avery is aware of that fact, all he knows is the subconscious connection of those mental puzzle pieces.

A subconscious function that tells him it's just an attempt to soothe him in order to make whatever follows hurt worse. When an animal is slaughtered, it must be done as fast and stress-free as possible. When prey feels fear, the spike in hormones affects the taste and texture of the meat. It works the same way when Linus gets angry. Linus relishes the satisfaction of seeing Avery's trust shatter, luring him in just to toy with him and see the shock of pain ignite his face. When Avery is expecting the pain, it doesn't serve the same kind of power.

Avery continues to eye Austin for a few moments as Austin leans over and grabs the TV remote, crossing his ankles and hitting the red power button. The tv blinks, capturing Avery's attention. He turns to stare at the screen. After the car, it's much less of a shock, beginning to become used to the advancements of the modern world. He turns to face the tv as the news plays, the anchor's voice calm and friendly as he talks about today's weather.

Austin stands to go check the oven, but Avery doesn't pay him any mind. He only listens to the anchor as his voice remains perky and polite as he goes from talking about the weather, to bringing up that morning's incident.

"We might see a break through these storm clouds, however, as earlier this morning a cult leader was arrested. I will hand it over to Jasmin Branson, at the moment. Mastermind of the organization that caught the suspect. Good evening, Jasmin."

"Good evening James. It's an honor that our work has gotten this far into the media. But that's not what we're here to talk about." The woman Avery had seen earlier in the hospital is now on screen, with a kind smile and an awkward tone. "Let's see, it was, I think, probably one of the more intense stings we've done. I mean, there was a big crowd there..."
"For sure, I mean, that has to be..." Avery listens intently, too intent to notice Austin watching his reaction carefully from the kitchen,"... There was only one real angel that came out of the whole mess. The rest of the girls were human, but they.. They served their purpose, that's for sure." It's weird to know that they're talking about him, as Avery listens and ponders what Jasmin has revealed through the back and forth between her and the anchor, as well as the photos of evidence. The familiar rooms that he's used to sleeping in, the courtyard where the crowd had been clamoring just before, blood staining the iron bars and pale limestone steps, the empty, windowless closet, with only a single statue of a crucifix on the floor.

Then there are the photos that Avery doesn't recognize. Photos that make him feel sick to his stomach. He stands and turns away, instead making his way to where Austin is.

"You alright?" Austin asks cautiously. Avery stares at him for a moment with a vague expression. He inhales a subtle breath and looks at the pizza that Austin has just pulled from the oven.

"I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing." He whispers, watching as Austin cuts the pizza into slices. "I've been with Linus for so long. He told me that people beyond home were... violent and greedy. You saw what they were like that night." He murmurs, brushing his fingers over where his leg is bandaged.

ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ

Thanks for reading :)

I wanted to update again, I might start doing twice a month, we'll see