ᓚᘏᗢᓚᘏᗢᓚᘏᗢ

Austin tries to keep a friendly attitude. He wakes up on the wrong side of the bed every morning, and with Avery around it's a bit easier to remind himself to be kind. Especially considering the little victory of at least getting Avery out of his room. He focuses on food in the hopes of giving Avery as little mental pressure as possible while he explores.

When it seems that Avery has made a comfortable spot by the window, Austin speaks, glad to receive Avery's polite response, he considers it a victory. The most words he's said at any point in their time together. He ventures a joke as he approaches and sits, making himself as comfortable as possible in the hopes that Avery would mimic the behavior and relax a bit. What he doesn't expect is the amusing quip in response. It draws a grin to his face as he mulls over his victory in coaxing an attitude out of Avery that's a little less "cornered animal". His feeling of success quickly becomes conflicting as Avery's mother of pearl eyes sweep his overly-comfortable position. That doey expression lingers with a minxy curiosity that blends with Avery's gentle innocence. That expression aimed towards himself with slightly parted lips ignites a carnal feeling within Austin, and when Avery's eyes return from whatever he was imagining, Austin is sure that he fucked up with whatever expression he'd been wearing.

He barely registers Avery's apology, and his own response rings in his ears. How would Avery apologize for giving him a look like that? How could Avery possibly apologize for anything? Even if there is desire that colors Avery's face, it's a soft desire. A delicate sweetness that couldn't crave anymore more than ecstatic pleasure. Austin's desire is a burning craving. A hunger that threatens to desecrate and consume the very purity that makes Avery who he is.

Desperate for something else to think about, Austin reaches for the TV remote. When the weather doesn't work its magic, he relocates to the kitchen under the guise of getting the pizza. If he's going to rock a boner, it doesn't need to be seen, at least. Both pizza and his dick is quickly forgotten when he hears Jasmine's voice on the tv. He looks up, glancing between Avery and the images of the complex. He decides not to disturb Avery. Life is tough sometimes, and Austin isn't here to hide that from Avery.

He instead fetches the pizza from the oven, turning the oven off and searching for his pizza cutter. When he finds it, Avery is sitting at the counter.

"You alright?" Austin asks quietly, discarding the pizza for now as he turns his attention to Avery. He decides to merely listen as Avery monologues.

"...and now I don't know what to believe. If what she says is true... I serve no purpose anymore. Even if Linus did come back to get me. I'm of no use to him anymore." Avery finishes, his voice and lower lip quivering. Avery's returned banter from earlier feels like one of his single word replies now. Austin hesitates, leaning against the counter.

"First of all, the entire point of you being here and not there, is so that you can find your own purpose, sweetheart. You have time to figure all that out, we'll just take it one step at a time. Second... what on earth do you mean by that? Not serving him a purpose anymore? Most you've done is pull a few feathers out and watch about five minutes of tv." Austin responds. Avery gives him another one of his wide-eyed deer-in-headlights looks and averts his gaze, lips pressing into a thin line.

"I sinned the moment I let you into the bathroom with me last night." He confesses, bringing his fingers up to cover his mouth with furrowed brows and glistening eyes. Austin isn't sure what to make of the information, simply folding his arms against the counter as he leans against it.

"That was nothing, Avery-" He starts.

"No. You don't understand." Avery cuts him off, eyes flicking back over to him. "I was perfectly capable of bathing myself, and I should have told you that, but I let myself enjoy it." The shame that laces Avery's strained voice is unlike anything Austin has ever heard.

"D-do you want me to take you to a church? Couldn't like- confessing in front of a priest or something fix it..?" Austin trails off, unsure if that's how it works. Avery tips his head a bit, and gives Austin a sad smile, tears glittering in his lashes. That soft, serene expression is enough to make Austin's knees tremble. It can't be moral to feel this way.

"Angels aren't like humans, Austin. We've been abandoned. We can't be redeemed like humans can. I've seen pure divinity, face to face, and it still wasn't enough to keep me sin free. I won't be given a second chance." He explains. Austin nods, tapping his fingers against the counter. He stands up straight and stretches, turning to look in one of his upper cabinets. He takes down a half-empty bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

"If you can't be redeemed, then why are you still trying?" Austin asks, opening the freezer and pulling out a tray with large square ice cubes. He finds a small vial of citrus bitters and pulls a small tub of sugar from his spice cabinet. Avery watches him in silence, the question seeming to throw Avery for a loop. He hesitates and draws in a breath.

"Being on my own is.. Scary. I don't think I want to be independent." He admits Austin nods as he mixes two drinks, one for each of them.

"Well yeah, it is. It's always going to be." Austin responds, sliding one of the crystal glasses over to Avery, who tentatively takes it.

"You put more sugar in this than you did yours. Do you get scared?" Avery points out, looking up at Austin, who huffs out a short chuckle.

"You'll like it better, but you can try mine, as well. I do get scared." He hums. Austin's admission draws a surprised, shy little smile to Avery's lips. He hides it behind the glass as he sniffs the drink.

"You? You get scared? But you're so..." Avery trails off, rubbing his thumb along the rim of the glass. Austin tips his head.

"Yeah. I wasn't always like this, babe. It took some time to stand on my own two feet." He says softly, taking a sip of his old fashioned. Avery seems to take it as a cue, locking his eyes with Austin's as he takes a tentative sip of his drink. Austin watches Avery cringe as the whisky hits his tongue.

Avery, as politely as he can, sets the glass down and licks his lips. "I don't think I want to try yours." He says quietly, drawing a bark of laughter from Austin.

"Have you ever drank before?" Austin asks. Avery nods. Admittedly, it's a little surprising. He'd think that drinking would be a sin. His face must have said too much, considering Avery pipes up again.

"I can drink. I just can't get drunk. The point isn't the alcohol, it's the indulgence." Avery explains, before taking another experimental sip of his glass.

ᓚᘏᗢᓚᘏᗢᓚᘏᗢ

Thanks for reading :)

A/N I'm sorry dudes, this slowburn is going to burn *so* slow, be prepared LOL, hope it's worth it :))