Instinct

"The neuron consists of three main parts, and don't actually touch each other," Mrs. Bennet explained, as everyone scribbled down her every word. I rested my cheek on my hand, my eyes blinking slowly. I already knew all of this. "The spaces between the neurons are called synapses. They receive the neurotransmitters by-"

She was interrupted by the classroom door creaking open. Naturally, everyone's heads snapped to the disturbance. It was the principal. She walked in slowly, a forced smile on her face. "C'mon, sweetheart, don't be shy," she said sweetly.

A grungy student walked in, grumbling. He wore dark jeans, a black hoodie, with the hood up, and black combat boots. His hands were shoved in his pockets, and his stance screamed danger.

"Well, why don't you introduce yourself?" Mrs. Bennet suggested.

The student looked up at her, glaring. I gasped. It was the stranger from yesterday! He's young enough for high school?!

With my jaw still slack, I held my hand out to the side. Dylan, my desk neighbor, grumbled and angrily slammed twenty dollars onto my palm. I smirked at him, getting over my shock, and slid the cash into my pocket.

"O-okay..." Mrs. Bennet stuttered, "then, uh, why don't we go ahead and continue with class? Go ahead and find a seat sweety."

He seemed to have a permanent glare on his face as he scanned the crowd of desks. His eyes met mine, and we both froze. The smallest of smirks appeared on his face as he cocked his head to the side, his eyes amused. He walked to the back row, and I avoided acknowledging his presence any more than I already did.

"Move," his deep, gravelly voice ordered the kid behind me.

I spun around quickly, my eyes wide and disbelieving. "This is his seat," I defended.

"Well isn't that too bad, Babygirl?" He turned to the boy in the desk behind mine and slammed his hands on the wood. "I. Said. Move."

Drew scrambled to get his stuff together. I grabbed his arm. "No, Drew this is your seat!"

The stranger glared at me. "Got a crush?" he asked mockingly.

I narrowed my eyes at him, about to make a retort. I was cut off by non-other than Mrs. Bennet.

"Um," she asked, waiting for his name. He didn't give it. She cleared her voice. "Right. Well, we don't really do that here," she said kindly.

I felt bad for the elderly woman when she was startled into silence from the stranger's harsh glare.

Drew had finally gathered his stuff together and scrambled to the empty chair across the room. The stranger smirked, practically falling into the seat. I grumbled, turning around and closing my eyes tightly. 'Why me?!' I mouthed to myself.

My hair was gently brushed to one shoulder, and a calloused finger with a soft touch traced the soft skin on the back of my neck. I gasped at the contact, instinctively jerking away from the touch. I whipped my head around with an alarming speed. My strong glare met the amused gaze of the gangster-looking guy.

"Don't touch me," I whispered, avoiding attention from Mrs. Bennet.

"But you're so damn hot, Babygirl."

"My name is Wisconsin."

"I think I like Babygirl better."

I scoffed, turning back around. He continued the assault on the sensitive skin. I gritted my teeth and immediately scooted to the very edge of the seat away from him. His husky chuckle was quiet, floating to my ear.

When the bell rang, I practically flew out of the classroom. Well, I tried to.

A sturdy hand grabbed my wrist. "Now, Babygirl, you weren't gonna leave without me, were you?"

I practically hissed at him, trying to tug my hand back. When I was unsuccessful, I glared and said through gritted teeth, "let me go."

"But it's my first day here," he said with fake innocence, "I'll get lost without you."

I sighed heavily. Walk him to class and get him off my back. "Fine. What's your next class?"

"Uh..." he spaced out, thinking. "Free," he declared.

I smiled. "You can do whatever you want. Just don't leave campus. Bye." I tried to yank my arm back. Dang he was strong.

"What's your next class?" he asked.

"Free."

He smirked. "I'll hang out with you then."

I scoffed. "You-"

"Wisc, what's taking so long?!" Dylan called, strolling back in to the classroom. He glared at the grip the stranger had on my arm. "Wisconsin," he started carefully, "who is this?"

"Heck if I kn-"

"Heller," the stranger answered. I snapped my gaze to him. His eyes were locked with Dylan's having a glaring contest. I rolled my eyes.

I used my other hand to try and gently slide my hand from his grip. "Yeah well, now that we all know each other, it was nice meeting you, but-" I started.

Heller's icy eyes snapped to me. I gulped.

"Dude, just let her go," Dylan reasoned.

Heller's eyes held some intense emotion I couldn't read, before he reluctantly let me go. I rubbed my wrist. "Thanks," I muttered, looking down.

Silence hung in the air like a bad taste in the mouth for countless moments. My gaze was directed towards the floor.

"Wisc, let's go."

I looked at Dylan, his eyes watching Heller carefully. I peeked up at Heller, and gasped, quickly looking away. His eyes were intensely staring at me.

"U-uh yeah..." I murmured, walking to Dylan. Heller didn't move or say anything, but you could feel the tension in the air. Dylan waited for me to pass the doorway before he looked away from the new student, following me to the library.

He was silent, but I could tell he was angry. We went to our usual reading place, sitting on the floor. I pulled out the book from yesterday and continued it, while Dylan read a sports magazine from the shelf.

The door opened, which was rare. Dylan and I were usually the only ones in here. I looked up, but Dylan was too enthralled in reading about LeBron James. In strolled none other than Heller. He leisurely walked to one of the tables. Not before meeting my surprised gaze and smirking, of course. He slumped in the chair, folded his arms on the table, and rested his head on them, taking a nap.

I blinked a few times before returning to my reading.

Before I knew it, the bell rang. Dylan and I packed up, walking out to the parking lot. On my way out, I noticed Heller still asleep. What if he has something he needs to do after school? I sighed. Being a good person is terrible. Why does anyone strive to be this?

"You go ahead, Dylan," I said, handing him the keys. "I forgot something."

He nodded.

I cautiously walked to Heller, my feet making no sound. Once I was in front of him, I twitched awkwardly. How do I wake him up? Poke? What if that's not enough? Shake his shoulder? Maybe he's a light sleeper? Then I could just call out to him?

"Heller?" I whispered. Nothing. "Heller?" I tried again. Nothing. I sighed. Clearing my throat, I said his name in a louder tone. He didn't respond. I groaned softly and decided I needed to touch him. I gently poked him in the arm. He didn't react. Getting annoyed now, I lightly shoved his shoulder.

Immediately, as if instinctively, he lunged out of his chair, tackling me to the ground and pinning me down. He raised a fist, about to punch my lights out. I closed my eyes tightly and whimpered. When no hit came, I popped open an eye.

His eyes were wide, as if he was scared. He was breathing heavily. He lowered his fist, resting it on the ground by my head. He closed his eyes, sighing.

"Sorry," he muttered. He got up, and walked out of school.