Boys will be Boys

I stood there, shocked. My emotions were scattered, undecided. Meanwhile, Dylan's were clearly made up as he stomped my way with anger lighting up his face, his eyes set on Heller.

"Listen, douchebag," he started scolding to Heller, his finger angrily jutting in that direction.

"Dylan!" I cut him off, obviously guarding Heller with my body as if that would help him at all.

"Move out of the fucking way, Wisc. This guy has no right to touch you."

At this Heller raised his head, and stood to his full height. He towered over me, and had a few inches on Dylan. He said nothing, but his glare was enough to act as a catalyst for Dylan.

Dylan gently pushed me to the side and proceeded to shove Heller in the chest. He barely moved.

Dylan continued to shove him, yelling profanities, until he threw a punch aimed at Heller's jaw. He took it full force, his face turning to the side quickly from the impact. He looked back to Dylan, and there was fire in his eyes.

"First you scare her," he growled out, punching Dylan in the stomach with an uppercut, "then you push her," another punch to the side, "and then you fucking have the balls to punch me." He finished his assault with a blow to the jaw. Dylan groaned in pain, collapsed on the floor.

I rushed to his side my eyes wider than I though possible, "are you okay?! Dylan, say something! Wait you got punched in the face. Never mind." My hands waved above his body frantically, eager to do something, but clueless as to what.

Strong arms wrapped around my waist gently and picked me up effortlessly. I squirmed and slapped at the arms that held me, but it was to no avail. Heller carried me to the chair he was originally seated at, and sat down with me in his lap. He held me tight, but I managed to turn to get a look at him. His bruises seemed less dark, and more alive; like they glowed with his emotions. His chest rose and fell quickly against my back, his breathing ragged. He shook from the anger I could see in his eyes.

Looking back to Dylan, he seemed alright now. He just lied there, outstretched on the floor.

I was scared to move. The anger in the boy behind me was overwhelming, and I was scared if I tried to go against what he wanted, more problems would erupt. So, like a good girl, I sat there quietly, feeling as his shaking slowly stopped, and his breathing gradually became slow and even. He rested his head on my shoulder and sighed, his grip on me loosening.

"Sorry," he said quietly, and then within the moment, he lifted me, set me on the ground, and walked out of the room. I blinked multiple times, trying to figure out what just happened. When I snapped out of it, I crawled quickly to Dylan like one of those possessed girls you see in horror movies.

His eyes were closed, and a bright bruise was already blossoming from his jaw.

"I'll be right back, okay?"

He nodded slightly, and I ran out of the library. I skidded to a halt when I ran into Heller's tense back.

He practically growled and turned, raising a fist ready to fight. I flinched and cowered, stepping back clumsily and tripping. I looked up at him fearfully from the ground, and his eyes widened as he took up my figure.

His fist lowered and his eyes softened. He opened his mouth to say something, then quickly snapped it shut and shoved his hands in his pockets, walking away. I blinked at his retreating figure.

"Heller!" he kept walking.

I got up and ran after him. I should've left him alone and gave him time to breath. I knew that. But there was this ache in me to not let him leave that I wasn't willing to deny.

I grabbed his hoodie and was consequentially dragged by him, nearly falling. His arm shot out and grabbed me, using the momentum to push me against the wall.

"I'm no good. You need to stay away." His voice was low but urgent, his eyes pleading but fierce.

My eyebrows knitted together. "Um, you just punched my friend."

He chuckled. "I did."

He glanced to the side and I saw the extent of the damage of Dylan's one punch. His hit on top of the preexisting bruises looked absolutely terrible. I went to touch it, but my fingers shook above his skin, scared to hurt him. He looked down at me with crushing intensity.

I cleared my throat. "C'mon, let's get both of you ice."

"I need to go somewhere."

"And get more bruises?" I scoffed, "no," and dragged him alongside me by his hoodie sleeve, catching a glimpse of his smirk.

We walked to the nurse's office, and she wasn't there, as usual. I walked to the refrigerator and grabbed two ice packs, wrapped them each in paper towels, and walked to Heller. "Sit down." He did as he was told. I gently placed the ice pack on his face and he winced, resulting in a pang in my heart. "Stay here, I need to give this to Dylan." He nodded, and I walked quickly to the library.

Dylan was now slumped in a chair moaning "I'm dying."

I rolled my eyes "don't be dramatic," and handed him the ice pack.

"God is calling my name. He wants me home. This is the end."

"Oh please," I laughed lightly.

He grimaced as he pressed the ice pack to his wounds, but held it there none the less.

"I'll be right back," I said, and walked back to the nurse's office.

All that was waiting for me was an empty space and a melting ice pack.