Prologue

Listening to the monotone beeps of the heart monitor for hours on end had Levi constantly hearing the dreadful sound, even when he was not visiting his mother in the hospital. Today, the smell of anesthetics seemed too overpowering and with the evening coming to an end, the room was slightly grey, giving off a ghostly aura all around him. Most of the time, he tried passing the time by counting each heart monitor beep, seeing if he could break each new record he set.
"One hundred-eight...one hundred-nine...one hundred-ten....one hundred-el...elev...elev..."
The young boy could feel his body giving in to the warm embrace of sleep. His head kept jerking, but he still kept his grip on his mothers' hospital bedsheets tight.
As dreadful and painfully dull it was for him to constantly listen to beep after beep playing on repeat non-stop, there's nothing else he would rather listen to, for this was his only assurance that his mothers' heart was still beating.
"Hey..Levi-love.." The softest of voices flowed from the frail, dark-haired woman, lying in her deathbed.
"Don't give...out on me. Aren't you...going to tell mama...about your day?" Her voice was shaky, she struggled with each breath as well as keeping her sunken-in eyes open to look at her only son.
Levi sat straight, his head naturally tilting to the left, something he couldn't help at only five years old since it was unusually large for his body. His Raven black, thin hair fell in front of his dark rimmed eyes which were the same steel color as his mothers'.
He slumped and rubbed his eyes.
"There's nothing to say, I was alone again."
He avoided eye contact with her, embarrassed that yet again, he failed at fulfilling the only thing she ever asked of him: make friends.
She gave him a meek smile.
"Levi- love, you're going to be six soon...if you go to school...you co-"

"I don't want to go to school."
His eyes fixated on her skeletal hands, shaking ever so slightly. He felt annoyed. Even at five, he didn't like the idea of going to a random place where some stranger tried to make him do certain things a certain way when he could most likely do it better if he taught himself. Not to mention being stuck in a cramped room full of loud, dirty, spoiled children who had the attention span equivalent that of a goldfish.
"Levi-love... How many stars do you think are in the night sky?"
Her breathing became slighty heavier.
Levi instinctively looked back out the window. The sun was setting. No stars.
"There's a lot...probably a million."
She let out a weak chuckle, which shifted into a wheezing cough.
"Mama!" Levi jumped up and patted her chest, hoping to soothe her a bit. She took a few deep breaths and managed a small smile.
"Levi-love, even...if you devoted...your whole life to try..and give us the...exact amount of stars...in the sky...you wouldn't find the answer. It's just the way..it is. That's what makes life so interesting. Living...each..day...not knowing who you're going to meet...what's going to happen..good or bad......trying new things...It's all..just..a mystery."
Her eyes lit up upon saying "mystery" and it made Levi smiled seeing her full of life even for that split second.
"Levi- love," she reached her hand out to him, wanting him to put his hand in hers. She was too weak to open her eyes, but she mustered up what strength she had to wrap her hand around his tiny fingers.
"You..and the sun...are very much alike. Bright, amazing, the light of my life. But, whenever all the other stars...come out, you hide away...alone."
The young boy looked at her, his eyes filling with tears.
"But just..like everyone else, you are a star yourself."
Levi pouted and looked down at his toes, trying to ignore the emotional lump building in his throat.
"But mama..." He began to sob.
"I don't need anyone else...why can't it just be you and me? Like how it's always been?!"

"Levi-love..." Her voice lowered into a whisper.
"Baby, look at mama."
He slowly lifted his head up to meet her eyes, his cheeks heavily stained with tears. She was barely recognizeable to anyone else. But sick or not, she was still his protector, his safe house, his only friend, his mother. And he willingly sat there, watching her fade away, which in his mind, was equivalent to being tortured for no reason.
"Levi- love, mama. Is. Sick....and she's not getting better."
"But m-m-mama.." He choked on tears.
"You will get better! I will-"

"I want you...to live your life...the way you want to. It's okay to be the sun....but whenever...you decide..you want to just be a shining...beautiful star...in the night sky, know that there are other stars, with their arms wide open....waiting to welcome you."
A tear rolled down her cheek, she bit her lip gently and tried to smile for him.
"I love you Levi..I'm so happy...I got to be your mother."

"I love you mom. More and most."

Mom....I think your monitor is broken, I just hear one long beep....when will it stop..? Mom..?

This is just the prologue to my fanfic! I will post an update on the official first chapter ASAP! I hope you enjoyed it! I promise it's not going to be sad like this all the time!