Canon in D Minor

6:30 AM

"Kid, wake your ass up."
The older man burst into Levi's room without even a second thought to knock.
"Kenny.." Levi groaned from under his pile of blankets.
"Get.the.hell.out."
"No. Wake the hell up. I'm tired of your school crawling up my ass because you can't seem to ever get there on time."
Kenny's large workboots made a slight vibration with each of his steps as he made his way to open the blinds. Levi laid still, trying to ignore all the noise his idiot uncle was making. Kenny tugged on the strings that raised the blinds, but because the house was old and practically falling apart, the blinds ripped right off the window and crashed onto Levi's wooden floor.
"Kenny!" Levi shot up, his eyes slightly red from only getting a couple hours of sleep and the dark circles under his eyes more noticeable than usual.
"God damnit Kenny, there's only two days of school left and you want to go bitching about this now?! You're such a dumbass."

"Levi" Kenny rubbed his temple, a habit from keeping him from beating the shit out of Levi when he talked to him like this.
"If you don't get to school on time these last two days, you don't get to walk on graduation day."
"Kenny oh my god. I don't give.a.shit."
Kenny stomped over to Levi and grabbed him by the arm, yanking him off the bed.
"Rise and shine you ungrateful brat. I'll take you myself."
Levi jerked back away from Kennys grip and stood straight, glaring at him.
"I'm gonna get dressed so get out."

Kenny cursed under his breath in an irritable manner and walked to the riggity door.
"Be ready in twenty minutes. I need to be at the mines by 7:40 so your ass is going to be on that campus at 7:30."

"That's a half hour before school sta-"
Before he could finish his complaint, Kenny walked out and slammed the door behind him.

"Tch...fucking bastard."
After a three minute shower, Levi went through his normal morning routine In half the time he usually does it: brush teeth, fix hair, put on his school uniform, which normally consisted of black slacks, a white button up with a black vest with his school insignia embroided on it. But all his slacks were dirty so he threw on his black skinnies. He tore his room apart in two minutes looking for his black tie and then spent five minutes looking for his all black, slip on vans. The only freedom they seemed to have at the school was their shoes; as long as they were all black and the heels weren't bigger than three inches, you could wear them.

"THREE MINUTES BRAT!"
The deep scratchy voice could match nails on a chalkboard to Levi. He caught a glimpse of his shoes underneath some school books and slid them on. He picked up his messenger bag but after a moments thought, threw it in the farthest corner of his room and met Kenny at the front door.
"I'm surprised." Kenny scoffed.
"You're actually ready. Where's your bag?"
"Don't need it." Levi said while making his way out the door.
"Whatever alright." Kenny walked out and locked the door and they both headed to his red pick up truck.
Levi got in and solemnly studied their house. He never really looked at it in detail, but then again, there wasn't much to look at. One story, bricks, dark roof, garage, some windows: a plain Jane home. Their house was surrounded by huge pecan trees, and during pecan season, Kenny would spend hours collecting the fallen pecans and sell them by the pound; coming home with over $900. Levi couldn't decide whether it was a waste of time or not sometimes. Considering it was always hot, boring and filthy work.

Kenny started backing the truck out of the driveway and Levi began to close his eyes, hoping to maybe get a sliver of sleep for this ten minute drive.
Just as he was beginning to feel comfortable, he heard the distant, yet undeniably familiar voice echoing through into the truck.

"MIIISSTTEERRR ACKERMAAAN!"

Levi groaned and opened his eyes to see the tall, lanky girl who lived next to him burst out her front door, her glasses falling off her face and her tangled up, dark hair flowing behind her.
Kenny came to a stop and rolled his window down.
"Hey look Levi, your girlfriend."
He smirked at his own tease.
"Shut the hell up."
The ecstatic girl ran into the door of the truck, her energy spiked as if it wasn't almost 7:20 AM.
"Hanji!" Kenny spat.
"Don't scratch my truck! I just bought it last year and it's worth more than what you're getting to pay for college!"
"Mr. Kenny! How can you give Levi a ride and not me! I mean we've been walking to school together since the first grade and you go and betray me like this?" Hanji dramatically out her hand over her heart and put on her best 'pity me' face. She widened her eyes at Kenny as she anticipated his response.
Levi leaned forward and gave her his 'are you fucking kidding me?' face and Kenny rolled his eyes.
"Don't you have parents of your own that could take you?"
"Well Mr. Kenny, as a matter of fact, they aren't in town. So no."
"Where'd they run off to this time?"
" Charlie, Africa."
Kenny sighed and began to feel slightly sorry for the girl. Her parents were never home since they were in the peace corps.
"Get in you weirdo."
Hanji beamed and darted to Levi's door side and hopped in and scooted next to him.
"I didn't know this truck was a bench seat truck!" Hanji exclaimed.
"Yeah well" Kenny started backing up again.
"Gotta be prepared for events like this."