Chapter I

Alina always enjoyed vacations to California. Although she wasn't much allowed out of the confines of that estate her family owned, she still found ways to sneak out into the night. And of course, wherever she fancied to go, she was allowed into... her face was well-known and easily recognized, and even those bouncers who weren't familiar with her likeness didn't much hesitate to let through a beautiful, visibly wealthy young woman.

That evening was meant to be a relaxed one, though, as far as sneaking away went. She'd gone down to the little stable area around the back of the estate, and was currently in heated discussion with the stableboy she'd insisted be brought along... she wasn't angry with him, but rather with her father - a red welt on her cheek indicative of the reason why. She was in pain and she was tired, and simply intended to take a relaxing ride through the expansive woods behind the manor, perhaps go down to the coastline.

She ranted and the stableboy listened kindly - at some point, she smoothed her golden curls and conveyed her intentions, requesting her steed. She mounted with the assistance of a strong hand, and thanked the stableboy softly before heading into the thick canopy.

Meanwhile, just outside one of the marble walls surrounding the estate, leaned a tall, strong, menacing figure with intentions to be described as nefarious. He hid himself away when he heard a golden gate open up, and watched as a young woman upon a tall steed trotted through, out toward the thick wood before her.

His hands clenched with excitement... she couldn't have made it easier for him, he didn't even have to infiltrate the palace now. The token to gaining that powerful position he desired, out all alone... so vulnerable. Shouldn't she have someone along with her, some sort of protection, or security?

He didn't dwell on that long. Lorenzo quietly followed the leisurely-moving horse. Concealing himself within the shades provided by the thick canopy of leaves, high above.

The princess had finally begun to let tears fall from crystal green eyes, her cheek and back stinging terribly. Her grip on her horse's reins was shaky as she tried to restrict sobs, and keep the skittish animal calm... they rode peacefully for quite some time, getting deep into the forest and a ways away from the mansion.

A twig loudly snapped, though. The horse spooked. Alina's eyes widened as it reared, throwing her from the saddle and then galloping back off toward the estate. She hit the forest floor with a sharp cry, laying for a moment before pushing herself up with a painful groan.

From off the path, Lorenzo chuckled to himself... finding amusement in her blissful ignorance. Every thing that happened made this easier for him, and unfortunately for the princess, she didn't even know of the hunter stalking her - his prey - just behind the trees.

Her head was dizzy with pain, but she crawled to a tree and with its support, stood. She scanned the area, familiar with the path, but she wasn't quite sure how far she was from those high marble walls..

She heard a voice, and her head whipped in its direction... those emerald eyes wide and clear and alert, no sign of tears within them any longer. She cleared her throat, called out.

"Callum? Is that you?" she asked, perhaps naively... there was no way her horse had already gotten back to the manor, and therefore the stableboy wouldn't even know anything had gone wrong on her ride. She knew this - but some hope still in her heart tried to reason, that perhaps the chuckling she heard was not from a threat.

From the brush, Lorenzo finally emerged, a thinly-veiled smirk on his face... he tried to mask his intentions with faux concern, furrowing his brows as he approached the aching, smaller girl.

"Are you alright? That looked like a pretty nasty fall..." he commented honestly, watching her every move with intense eyes. Watching the way she moved, how her hands were trembling but her expression so quickly took on a mask of calm... how her eyes swirled and glinted gold, with the fleeting rays of sun that peeked through the leaves.

She really was beautiful, as everybody had told him... almost hauntingly. Everything about her seemed to burn an unforgettable image into his mind's eye, and he certainly did not want to stop looking upon the little princess...

"Yes- mm, yes, I am alright," she breathed. Her voice was heavily accented, but she spoke so beautifully, her words almost had the cadence of a song, rather than simple conversation. He felt like he was speaking to something otherworldly, something angelic, even. Mesmerizing.

Focus, he reminded himself. He had a job to do, after all.

"Where have you come from? I'm sure I can help you back..." his hand found the small of her back. He felt her tense, but didn't know if such was due to pain, or simply her on-edge state of mind.

"Uhm..." the princess's brows furrowed, and she pointed in the direction of the estate, shifting her weight nervously. "That way - I do not- "

She was unable to finish before feeling the point of a blade against her sternum, a strong arm having circled her smaller figure. Alina's body instantly became rigid, eyes flashing with alarm.

"Don't move, princess... don't fight me. Don't fight it," although his words were menacing, Lorenzo's voice held a soothing tone. He reached into his coat pocket and retrieved a dampened cloth, hand coming round and holding it over Alina's nose and mouth.

She whimpered and tried to hold her breath... soon though, she had to breathe in, and her eyes began to involuntarily water. As she was suffocated by the rag, and Luca's strong hand, and the chemicals that burned through her nose and throat, she did begin to fight... though weakly. Her consciousness was slipping away when she finally decided to ignore the knife and start prying against her assailant's hand.

He was strong, though. Too strong. She couldn't free herself of his grip, and the more she tried, the tighter his grasp seemed to constrict. She'd never felt such strength... not even at the hand of her father's head knight, from which she'd experienced a number of violent actions, even as recently as the night prior. The current intention was not to hurt the young woman, though... simply to incapacitate her.

After moments of fruitless struggling, Alina fell still. Limp in Lorenzo's arms...

"Good girl..." he purred lowly, and after another moment he lowered the cloth, ensuring she truly was unconscious. Once certain, he pocketed the rag and sheathed the knife, lifting the girl easily up into his muscular arms.

He turned. Surveyed the woods around, made sure nothing that could connect the princess's disappearance to him was left behind... and once sure, he turned and headed toward the coast. At a nearby dock, an unmarked boat was awaiting him...

And his newly acquired token.