sixteen | midsummer

Ophelia spent the days before Midsummer studying spells and potions, practicing Occlumency and wandless magic. The book she had taken from Snape gave her more than enough information. She knew a dark curse when she saw one, and the book definitely contained a few of them.

Ophelia was struggling to rid her mind of Snape, no matter how many hours she spent meditating or trying to set a goddamn cotton ball on fire. Maybe she had made a terrible mistake. She hadn't even considered that he might not return her feelings before acting. In fact, she hadn't even taken the time to properly figure out her own feelings.

She hadn't slept for two days when it was suddenly time to put on the red dress her parents had picked out for her and head to Malfoy Manor. Ana was safely tucked away in her room when they left, her eleventh birthday just around the corner. Their father was very excited about the fact, and Ophelia wondered if he ever thought about the child they put in the ground no longer than two months ago.

Malfoy Manor stood tall and dark on the outside, but the ballroom was decorated with flowers, bright lights shining on the dance floor, and glass doors that led to the garden stood ajar to cool down the big crowd. They were greeted by a man offering them champagne.

I'll just down this one.

She took another to sip on. Her parents had already been approached by a man with long white hair and robes covered in black and gold.

"Lucius, this is our daughter," her father said and extended a hand for her, motioning her towards them.

Ophelia took a breath.

"A pleasure, Miss Ophelia," Lucius took her hand in his and planted a light kiss on her knuckles.

"Likewise, Mr. Malfoy," she said, pulling her hand back to wrap around her glass.

So he was the one who left encrypted messages to her parents. Maybe she would finally figure out what the hell they were up to. 

Ophelia looked around at the crowd while her parents complimented Lucius on the wonderful decorations. She saw Teddy standing with his mother, smiling and making small talk. Some couples were dancing to the slow music. Her eyes wandered across the room and her mouth went dry when they landed on him. Snape was already looking at her, like he had been waiting for her to find him.

She felt him pulling on her mind, trying to sneak a peek at her thoughts and she was reminded of what a control freak he was. But she had been practicing what he had taught her and pushed him away.

"Miss Ophelia," Lucius said.

She whipped her head around, returning her attention to him.

"My son is making rounds, why don't you introduce yourself?" He smirked, "you're around the same age, I believe."

Oh, great.

"Certainly," Ophelia said politely.

Lucius smiled, and she couldn't tell if he was just being friendly or if he found her uncomfortable state amusing. If Snape would just teach her goddamn Legilimency.

"Ophelia, sweetheart," her father said, "go see if you can find young Mr. Malfoy."

She smiled, "sure, father."

Ophelia turned away from them, downing the rest of her champagne.

"I think we need to expand our horizons," her father began as soon as she walked away.

Ophelia wanted to hear the rest of the conversation, but she had been sent away like a child. With her sight set on the bar she walked quickly through the room, ignoring the men and women who stared at her.