ten | headstrong

"I hate it here," Ophelia said and took a bite of her burger.

Cory sipped his drink for a second longer before his eyes settled on the wall behind her.

"Do you think there's a hole behind that ugly poster or do you think putting it up was like a conscious decision to, like, fit the aesthetic?"

Ophelia frowned, "Cory!"

"Hmm?"

"What about my thing?"

Cory's gaze landed on her again, "oh, right! You hate it here, your dad's doing weird stuff with Snape who's an asshole, and your mom won't leave you alone blah blah blah."

"Very comforting, thanks," she rolled her eyes.

After Snape left the other day, her father didn't speak to her and she thought she was off the hook. But then her phone disappeared, her allowance was taken away, and with her wand in Snape's possession, all she could do was buy a pack of cigarettes with her last pounds. Oh, and also guilt trip Cory into buying her lunch.

"You have got to stop overthinking it, Pheebs," Cory said, "I'm sure they're just fucking."

Ophelia gasped, "that's disgusting!"

Cory laughed.

"I'm serious!" she said, "there's something shady going on and I have to know what it is and why I wasn't included."

He frowned, "why would they include you if it was something shady?"

That riled her up real good.

"Because they're the ones that forced me to learn dark mag-" her eyes widened. "I mean- uh, I just.. I feel left out," she finished and quickly stuffed her mouth with food.

She looked at Cory to see if he'd noticed her almost slip up, but he was too preoccupied watching something else. Ophelia raised her eyebrows and turned to look at what had caught Cory's attention. In the doorway stood Severus Snape in his usual balck attire, and he was staring right back at her.

She quickly turned around again, slipping down her chair, "shit."

"Wait," Cory turned back to her, "is that..?"

"Snape," Ophelia nodded, "yup."

Cory's jaw dropped, "holy shit!"

"Shh!"

"Yeah, there's definitely something shady going on," Cory laughed, "what the fuck is he wearing?"

Ophelia glared at him, "hey! Don't make fun of him, that's my thing."

"He's coming over," Cory bit his bottom lip to stop himself from laughing, but his eyes still sparkled with amusement.

Ophelia ran her hands down her face when Snape cleared his throat. She took a deep breath, looked up at him, and smiled.

"Snape! Heyy, how you doing?"

"Miss Delisle," he growled, "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"Ahw," she batted her eyelashes, her smile full with fake flattery, "I'm right here, Professor."

"We have things to tend to," Snape growled, seemingly unamused.

"Why are you pushing that so hard?" Ophelia groaned, "can't we just not do it?"

Snape eyed her, "I wholeheartedly think it would be in your best interest to do it."

It was something in the way he looked at her, in the way his voice softened and his intentions felt sincere. She swallowed thickly.