17 - Old Whispers

I never wanted this...

I never wanted to end up like this.

Back then, I was so stupid, so dumb to trust the decency of a man.

I wasn't good at studying, and I wasn't good at sports. Back then, all I wanted to do was sing. My parents gave me everything that I needed to develop my voice, and the more times I practiced, the more times I heard their praises of me.

When I was 15, I was the famous idol, Tsukino Yoimachi. I performed and performed. I sang, I danced, and I made people smile. I was happy! I was so happy. I was doing what I liked doing, and I made people happy...

I made men happy...

My fans-men. My agents—men.

And everyone turned their back on me because of a man who gave me bad publicity because I wouldn't sleep with him. I wouldn't let him!

My voice... is who I am. My songs... are my passion. I'm an idol.

All I wanted was to sing on the big stage, and I did it.

So why?

Why am I so scared? Why am I still afraid of that man? That disgusting man! Why?!

"Miku, it's okay," I hear spoken softly.

Is that... Laura?

"... I'm jealous of you..."

She sounds... sad?

"You have everything I wish I never took for granted... You're cute, your skin looks like smooth silk, your attitude is carefree, and you have a good voice... I wish I never had to regain my voice after I was fighting that damned fire Spirit," she murmured in deep sadness, regret, even.

Why are you comparing yourself to me? I don't get it...

Laura was just an interesting tall girl with a cute voice, but you're like this...?

"In trying to pretend that I knew everything, that no one could stand against me, it cost me everything... Every action has a consequence, and I paid the price for it."

She paid a price for her ignorance?

... That means I paid a price for not sleeping with that man. Should I have just...?

"... Errgh... What am I doing? Talking to someone unconscious? I really don't have a lot of friends, huh?... Eheh." I could hear her strained chuckle to herself. "It doesn't matter,... I guess," she said, followed up by a pause.

"I need to keep moving forward..."

Laura, I never knew... What was I even thinking? It-... It doesn't matter anymore that I refused that man's advancements. It shouldn't matter anymore...! Even if all boys, all men go against me and ridicule me, I have the power to move away from them, now!

"Miku...!" She's calling for me. I feel her hands against my head and shoulders.

I think, I hope that there's nothing to worry about.

There's no need to worry about the disgusting men. I have my girls, after all.

And...

I have my Laura. If you don't think that way,... perhaps I'll make you mine.

What's this? Were you hiding something so beautiful? You lied to me, Laura. Ufufu...

It's nice to see your beautiful face, my white Snow Spirit.

Miku: "Pretty..."

-/-

"These are the edicts of our fine organization, my friends! Your colors signify your chosen role, for only those truly dedicated to the bit can have such beauty. Ah~, and might I add, you girls better know CPR, because you will take the customers' breaths away as you have mine."