Chapter 4

Piedmont    701 CT

Piedmont dug the blades on his front legs and heaved himself upwards onto a platform that led to a hollow. It had a sign with a scroll with an exclamation mark on it. He walked in and looked around. It was a somewhat small cave, filled with racks, scrolls, and tables arranged in a neat line. PeakWings were filling the little room there was, squeezing between the tables and shouting things at each other when they bumped together.

He had overheard dragons talking about the news about the Grove, and curiosity finally got the best of him. Despite the PeakWings never getting involved in any of the other tribe's affairs, there was a group of dragons who came together and decided to make a sort of newsletter for those who were curious about what was going on outside of their mountain range. Piedmont heard that they painted their scales different colors and attached paper wings to their backs to blend in a little better.

 PeakWings had always been considered "weird" to the other tribes due to their lack of wings. Many people didn't even consider them "dragons," referring to them as something else they called a "lion." 

But it seemed like everyone was talking about the Digest today. Piedmont shuffled up to the wooden desk up front, peering down at it. Lines had been gently carved into it, seemingly by hand, forming a pattern across the borders of the desk and down the legs. A dragon wearing oval-shaped glasses came out of the door in the back and looked up at him with a warm smile.

"Good afternoon, sir," she said happily. "How may I help you?" Her eyes were different colors, one green and one a pale blue. He found himself getting lost in them, admiring the gentle gradient.

"Um...sir?" She waved a talon in front of Piedmont's face, and he snapped back to reality.

"Ah, sorry..." he said, scratching his neck. "Your eyes are beautiful, by the way." He smiled awkwardly.

"Why, thank you!" The lady smiled, blushing a little. "Anyways, what can I do for you?"

"I'd like a copy of the newsletter, please. I need to find out what everyone is talking about," Piedmont answered.

"Coming right up!" This dragon seemed to have a lot of energy. As she walked towards the wooden door in the back of the cave, her movements seemed to radiate positivity.

What a strange dragon, he thought to himself. I like it.

She came out of the room holding a copy of The Solstice Digest. "Here you go, sir. That will be three chips, please."

"Ah, of course." Piedmont nodded, reaching into a small leather bag tied around one of his legs. In it were several wooden chips, the bark still on the sides. These wooden chips were the form of currency that the PeakWings used, almost like the metal coins other tribes used to trade. He took three out of his bag and placed them on the table with a clink.

The dragon nodded, holding out the newsletter. "Thank you, sir! Enjoy it!" Piedmont nodded with a smile, taking it and walking out of the cave.

She was really nice. Maybe I'll talk to her again sometime. Piedmont walked out of the cave, digging his leg blades into the ground and swinging his body to fly up to a higher cave. This one had a sign that read "Peak Cafe" in cursive. The smell of fresh coffee and pastries was coming from its entrance.

This place must be new. I've never seen it before...

Piedmont peeked in, breathing in slowly. There was one big bar that stretched across the front of the room, dragons wearing some kind of white and green cloth standing behind it. All around the cavern, square and circle tables were scattered around, each with two or four spots to sit each. Vines hung off of a wall like some kind of decoration, and little plants in pots were placed around the cafe.

Suddenly, a dragon approached Piedmont. He recognized her as Hollow, Piedmont's friend for pretty much his entire life. He looked startled, but quickly returned his expression to a neutral face.

"Hiii, Piedmont! I didn't expect to see you here!" Hollow looked at Piedmont, and her tail began wagging slowly behind her. "Did you read the Digest?"

"Not yet. I was actually planning on looking for a place to read it," Piedmont answered. "Why? What's the big news?"

"There's an academy opening in a town near Concordia soon!" Hollow was bouncing in her chair, her pink-purple eyes staring into Piedmont's. "We should ask our parents if we can go there."

"School? Somewhere near Concordia? But we already have our own schools! We can't even fly, so we may not be able to get-"

"Shhhh..." Hollow placed a claw on Piedmont's mouth. "Think of all the friends we could make! Friends from other tribes! Wouldn't that be amazing?"

Piedmont looked at her like she was crazy. She had been friends with Piedmont almost since they hatched. If anyone knew him well, it was her, and she should have known that he hated meeting new people. Especially others from different tribes who probably made fun of his tribe!

Piedmont scoffed. "Do you seriously want to go to school with the same tribes that humiliated us? That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing you've ever said, and that's saying something."

"Oh, come on," Hollow said. "You need to make more friends! It'll help you get used to talking to other dragons, I promise."

"No thanks," Piedmont replied. "It took, like, forty percent of my energy to talk to the lady who was selling the Digest. And it was even more awkward when I stared into her eyes and started zoning out!"

"Pied, you have to make more friends. You can't just rely on me your whole life," Hollow said, getting impatient.

Piedmont sighed. "Ugh, fine. I'll ask, but only if you promise to stay with me to calm me down."

Hollow jumped so high out of her seat, Piedmont thought she might hit her head on the roof. "Yay! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank youuu!"

Everyone in the cave was staring at her with either confused or irritated expressions. Piedmont snorted. "It's not that big of a deal, I promise."

"Whatever you say," Hollow replied. She was shaking with excitement, and Piedmont thought she would bolt out of the cave and run off towards Concordia right this moment.

What have I gotten myself into? Piedmont looked at Hollow worriedly, before closing his eyes.

"Hollow," he said. "I'll go, but I hope you know what you're doing."