Chapter 8

Daybreak    701 CT

It was the time of year that snow fell most often in Silverveil Grove. The air was cold enough to freeze the rain that fell before it reached the ground, soft clinks echoing through the air as the touched the surface of one another. Despite the fact that the rain froze before it hit the ground, the sound of liquid rain hitting the ground was still audible. Daybreak found it normal, but Moonlight was completely baffled. He found it funny how everything was so confusing to the self-proclaimed NightWing, and it made him feel smart.

Living with the NightWings was delightful, besides the small problem of Moonlight's mind reading. They were interesting company, and were always welcome to try new things. When they would walk to the village's store, they would always get the funniest looks. Most of them were awe and confusion. Daybreak felt almost like a king, being treated so nicely for having Moonlight and Primrose in his prescence.

But most of the attention was on Primrose. Her beautiful purple scales that changed color always amazed dragonets and adults alike. The little ones would always come up to her, asking her to change her scales. She looked a little weirded out and uncomfortable, but she did it anyways. She wasn't the social butterfly that her "brother" was.

Today, they were exploring the forests. Daybreak and Allure knew their ways around, but Moonlight and Primrose weren't quite used to the Grove yet. While she had grown up there so far, according to Moonlight, they never strayed far from their makeshift shelter. He noticed that Moonlight stuck close to the ashbarks.

Primrose theorized that her mother enjoyed the warmth of the trees because it reminded her of her home. Moonlight wasn't used to the cold and snow that filled the Silverveil Grove. She was much more accustomed to the heat of the volcanic island her tribe once lived on, and the warm, moist air of the Rainforest Kingdom. Moonlight told them all plenty of stories about Pyrrhia.

"How much longer do we have to walk?" Moonlight groaned, shivering profusely. She was shaking from head to talons. Daybreak didn't understand how she couldn't be used to the cold after living there for well over six months, except for the fact that she lacked the thick fur of the DemiWings.

"About twenty more minutes," Allure responded enthusiastically. Daybreak and his mother had always been outdoorsy types. They had no problem with going outside for long periods of time, and sometimes even preferred it over the warmth of their home.

"Three moons, I'm going to die of exhaustion," Moonlight said, running her claws down her snout. She was panting. It was probably hard on her lungs when she exhausted herself.

Primrose nudged her mother playfully. "Oh, come on, mom! You'll be fine. I'm sure once we get out more, you'll enjoy it too." It seemed almost like the two NightWings had switched roles for a moment.

"Trust me when I say the creek is worth it," Daybreak said happily,  walking up closer to his mother, now side by side with her. He really wanted to just run through the forest, but he would end up leaving the others behind. Also, the last time he ran through the forest, he ran into a giant dragon, which, once he thought about it, was probably one of the best things to happen to him.

After a bit of walking, a sudden gasp from his mother snapped him out of his thoughts. "Is that..." Allure slowly walked forward.

"An obsidian tree!" Daybreak ran up to the jet black tree that stood before them. Obsidian trees were a rare phenomenon in the Silverveil Grove, and some DemiWings almost worshiped them. It was said that obsidian trees were part of what gave them their natural abilities and connected them so deeply to nature and the magic inside of them.

Obsidian trees grew obsidian orbs almost like fruits, which when picked, could be utilized to materialize the magical essence inside of DemiWings. They were very rare, and few DemiWings actually possessed orbs, but when they did, it was a clear sign of power and good fortune. Daybreak scanned the shards of dark glass that were hanging from the base of the tree like leaves.