Chapter 11

Primrose    701 CT
The next day...

Six more months. Six more months until Primrose would start school. Allure had mentioned that the school was only open to dragonets one year and older. Daybreak was a couple months older than Primrose, but still too young to register. It wasn’t much of a problem, of course. By the time registration opened up, the two of them would have already turned a year old.

But school wasn’t the only thing that was taking over her mind. She had been thinking a lot about the visions she had just before meeting Daybreak. She wasn’t sure if her mother had seen them in her mind, but with how much she was thinking about it, she assumed that she had. Moonlight had always suggested that she could be a seer, considering that she was born under a full moon and that she didn’t have the typical silver scales of a mind reader.

Primrose had always been curious about NightWings and their strange abilities gifted by the moons themselves. Did the number of full moons affect the strength of your abilities, or did it vary from dragon to dragon? What could you do with your abilities once you learned how to perfect them? How do the moons even give them powers?

“Darling, I wish I had brought some scrolls with us,” Moonlight said, making Primrose jump. “But I was in such a rush to protect you, there was no time for me to grab any.”

“Do the scrolls ever talk about NightWing abilities?” Primrose asked, now curious.

“Some of the newer scrolls do,” Moonlight responded. “There’s a pretty well-known NightWing who had the power to see the future, kind of like you.”

“Tell me, tell me!” Primrose wagged her tail a little bit. She could learn more about her abilities, and possibly even have some of her questions answered.

“Long ago,” Moonlight began, “There was a seer named Clearsight. She was born under a full moon and was granted the ability to see the future. But it was unlike anything they had ever seen before.”

“What was so different about her?” Primrose asked, her tone filled with childish excitement and anticipation.

“Instead of just having visions and occasionally speaking prophecies, she could see not just the immediate future, but many other paths. She could follow them and fit them together like a puzzle,” Moonlight said. Primrose’s eyes twinkled with fascination.

“She wrote a book before she died,” Moonlight continued. “It was called the Book of Clearsight. It contained one thousand years of future predictions, filled with warnings for Pantala’s future. She traced the paths, looking at every possible outcome.”

“Woah,” Primrose said. “I wonder if I could ever do that someday.”

“It’s said that she used her ability to trace the timelines to find islands on the way from Pyrrhia to Pantala, when she needed to rest.” Moonlight seemed to be matching Primrose’s tone. Perhaps talking about the abilities of her tribe filled her with a sense of pride, or anticipation that her daughter might be capable of accomplishing great things as Clearsight once did.

“You have that power, too,” Moonlight said. “Though not as strong as hers, if you train it, it may become stronger. You can use your gift to save lives, just as she did.”

“I could save people?” Primrose asked, smiling. Her scales rippled pink and yellow with excitement.

“Yes, you can,” Moonlight responded. “There was a student at Jade Mountain Academy who saved the lives of a few students by warning them that the cave they were about to walk into was trapped.”

Primrose’s body felt light, like she could just float up into the sky. The possibility of saving other dragons with her unique gift delighted her. Plus, being able to see the future to some extent could help her discover so many things.