VOGUE

13th November 2020

Rosaline Albarn talk boys, future challenges and Nepotism with VOGUE

Rosaline Albarn  is the beautiful Lillian Rose Parker and Damon Albarn golden-girl, sharing her mother's looks and her father's talents, she's hit the world by storm with being an aspiring artist and writer. She's appeared by the side of many popular bands and musicians as their tour photographer, as well as being a Fine Art student at one of the most critically-acclaimed art colleges in the world, but she wants more. And who can blame her?

Ever since her and Liam Gallagher's son, Gene, have hitched, she's managed to be one of the internet's 'it girls' by appearing in hundreds of magazines and newspaper articles. People just can't get enough!

Thousands of people have questions for the young girl, and we're hoping to get a lot of them answered today, as we brought her in for an incredibly special interview with one of our star journalists, Hannah Beau.

"Rosaline, one of the most asked questions about you is your upbringing, is there anything you'd like to say about nepotism? There's been a lot of defence about you online, and people defending the fact you were proud enough to make it on your own. Do you have anything to add to that?"

"That's silly, of course nepotism helped me, I can't deny it. It's a silly thing to defend. I couldn't escape it even if I wanted to. My parents were some of the best musicians of their time, unless I somehow topped that then there's so escaping the nepotism allegations. I'd feel like fake if I sat here and denied the fact that the majority of jobs I've gotten haven't been due to my upbringing."

"That's really humble, a lot of people admire you for that, it's been one of the focuses of your recent popularity online."

Rosaline laughs "I don't really use social media, but I try to keep up with it as best I can. I can't really say much, Gene shows me a lot of it, but I heard the main part is on Twitter and I rarely open that app anyway."

"Speaking of Gene, you two are officially together now, aren't you? How's that been? Dating the son of someone who hurt your mother so much?"

"That's a bit dark, Hannah, but I get where you're going with it. My mum forgave Liam, and I never hated him in the first place. Of course, I disliked how he treated her, but he's obviously grown from his mistakes and I think that's really valuable, especially to admit that he's done them in the first place, with the kind of 'cancel culture' there is nowadays."

"How did you two come across each other? I know you two knew each other in childhood, but what made you realise he was someone you wanted to date?"

"Gene was the complete opposite of me, and if I'm honest, I didn't like him before I met him properly. All I ever saw in the media was how he was drinking too much, and being an asshole to everyone, so I sort of just kept myself at arms length. But when we bumped into each other, he actually taught me a lot, and it's what made me eventually fall for him. I was so in my own head about the idea of escaping nepotism that I didn't realise I was sort of making myself look like one of those out of out-of-touch rich kids who try to act like I'm above it all, when I wasn't. He also helped me live a little, considering I was a complete and total uptight bitch when we first talked- makes me wonder why he continued to talk to me."

"Sounds like you really hit it off. What about your future? We all know you're currently studying at Saint Martins, a college that's been renowned for the many celebrities it's harboured there in their early days, including Stella McCartney, Jarvis Cocker, PJ Harvey... the list goes on. But, do you have any plans after you finish your course?"

"I mean, honestly, I don't, but that's not a bad thing either. I used to worry a lot about my future, but that's actually gotten better with age, and I sort of realised I'm still young, and there's no rush. I wanna finish my degree, but I've been more focused on writing as of recently, as well as photography. I took a break from concert photography for a while to explore other mediums, graphic design, fine art, etcetera, but I really think it's one of the main things I like about myself. So I may go back to that. But at the minute, I really don't know."

"Speaking of which, your portfolio and references are quite the show off. I mean, working with Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, and even your father's own project, Gorrilaz. Can you tell me anything about that? Any insights on what it's like to work with people like that?"

"Well, the first thing I can tell you is that Matty Healy is hilarious, he was probably one of the people I stayed quite close with even after I got to tour with him. At the time, I was underage, so I was accompanied by somebody who was my mentor, God bless Damien Philips, basically there to teach me 'out in the field' as I was still learning things about a camera and photography in general. But Matty was lovely, really, he was really patient with everything and always tried to make things as chilled out as possible, instead of professional. It was really daunting touring with a band like that, especially since I considered myself a fan at the time. Arctic Monkeys was the first concert tour I did alone, without my mentor. I was really nervous, but the entire band was really nice. I probably spent most of my time with Matt (Helders), and I even got to watch Alex (Turner) work in the flesh, from afar, so I would consider it a win."

"What about Gorillaz? Did you ever find it odd having your own father as your boss?"

"My boss? Fuck no. I was the one that bossed him around. He married my mum, he knows that the women run things around here."

VOGUE and everyone is loving Rosaline Albarn at the minute, and we were so stoked to have her come in for an interview so we could ask her some questions. Check out the rest of the pictures we were blessed to get of the young woman for our official VOGUE photoshoot on our website. 

-

AN// I missed the magazine covers I couldn't resist