Chapter 5: Merry XXXmas

“Hey guys!” Joyce called out as she and Hopper entered the cabin. “We’re home!”

     It was Christmas Eve and the two of them had spent the evening at the Hawkins police station Christmas party. Hopper was dressed up as Santa Claus complete with the red velvet suit and hat, black leather belt, black leather boots, and a white beard. Joyce was dressed up as Mrs. Claus in a knee-length red dress with white trim and a black belt, red and white striped stockings, black leather boots, and topped with a red satin and white lace mob cap. They looked around the empty living room, surprised to find no one home.

     “Where did everybody go?” Hopper asked.

     “I don’t know,” Joyce replied, a bit worried. “Maybe they left a note on the fridge.”

     She walked into the kitchen and over to the fridge. Sure enough there was a note taped on it in Will’s handwriting.

     “Dear Mom and Hop,” Joyce read out loud. “Weren’t sure what time you guys were getting home, but the Wheelers invited us all over for Christmas Eve dinner. Spending the night there too. Don’t wait up. Love, Will, El, and Jonathan.”

     “Looks like we’ve got the house to ourselves,” Hopper plopped down in his recliner and put his feet up. “What do you want to do?”

     “I don’t know,” she shrugged. She started walking over to him, then stopped, suddenly remembering something. “Oh! We need to wrap the presents we got today!”

     “Shit!” Hopper jumped up. “I almost forgot! They're still in the back of the of the truck. I'll go get them.”

     “And I’ll get the wrapping paper,” Joyce went over to the hall closet.

     Prior to the Christmas party, the two of them had stopped at Starcourt Mall to pick up some last minute gifts for the kids. For Will, a few blank canvasses of different sizes and a new art kit complete with acrylic paints, brushes, color pencils, markers, and more. A jewelry box and makeup set for El. And finally, for Jonathan, some film and camera accessories. Joyce and Hopper now had the perfect opportunity to set up Jonathan’s surprise. They were revamping the corner of his bedroom where his desk stood into a dark room area for his photos.

     Once Hopper came back inside with the bags of gifts, he placed them on the kitchen table where Joyce was already waiting with the wrapping paper, scissors, tape, bows, and gift tags. Together, they wrapped up the gifts, then arranged them with the rest of the mountain of presents beneath the tree. Afterwards, they went into Jonathan’s room, where they set up the dark room area in the far corner. They hung a red safe light on the wall above the desk, installed a few wall shelves to hold photo trays, paper, tongs, chemicals, and other supplies. Next they set up the focus finder and enlarger on his desk. Then finally, they put up a black curtain over a clothes line rope that draped across the whole corner. Their idea was simple yet functional. Jonathan would be able to pull the curtain across the area when he was developing photos. However, he could still use it as a desk for his school work when he wasn’t using it as a dark room.

     When they were done, they stood back to admire their work.

     “It’s perfect!” Joyce sighed with a grin.

     Hopper smiled. “He’s going to love it.”

     Together, they walked back into the living room.

     “I think we finished everything,” Joyce looked around the room.

     “Good,” Hopper breathed a sigh of relief. “Now we can kick back and relax. Just the two of us.”