Background Information

This is a story about a girl named Astral. I'd like to give you a bit of background information on her. Astral is sixteen, she has long brown hair and nerdy glasses. Some people have laughed at her for them in the past but she thinks they look cute! Astral is a very kindhearted girl. She's always the first to help someone when they need it, and the last to complain about needing to help someone, if at all. However, like everyone, she had her hidden struggles. She had a rough upbringing. Her father Matt left her when she was about six. He often tries to come back into her life, but after that day things are not the same anymore.

        When Astral was six, she went to her dad's for her sixth birthday party. She was so excited. The smell of cake, cookies, and brownies just filled the air in her dad's trailer. It wasn't a doublewide, or anything fancy or nice. The floor was stained, and the walls were stained with nicotine. The walls had paintings and pictures hung up to cover the massive holes in the wall that were left by her dad in his fits of rage.  The ceiling and the cabinets were falling apart. The cabinets looked rustic and the glass on the cabinets was fogged up. Astral's mother Janus, had strung up balloons and ribbons all the way around the living room. The ribbons led to the kitchen. They were pink and glittery. A six year olds dream. Kidz Bop and other kids-friendly songs played from the silver box TV sitting on the dresser. One of Astral's good childhood friends was there. Together they played with little toys excitedly as they waited to be able to eat the cake and other sweets. As they were playing with the little plastic toys, they heard a noise. A noise from the other room. They both froze, surprised, and confused.  Another loud bang from the other room... Janus could be heard quietly pleading, for him to stop. The faint sound of the word no could be heard, repeated over and over. The girls were scared. They realized there was something wrong. There was "fighting". Again. Astral told her friend to just smile and it'll be over soon. However, Astral was scared too. She knew how bad the fights would get. She knew what happened behind closed doors. She didn't exactly know everything. She didn't know why her momma would come out crying with bruises and hickeys  all over her neck, or why she would always scream "No" over and over until her voice was cutting in and out.  Astral didn't understand those things. She thought they just argued... Astral did not know about her mothers innocence being taken... Astral's friend said she wanted to go home. She couldn't do it anymore. "I'm really sorry Astral. I hope you have a good party."Just like that, she had left. She walked across the street and went home. Astral's only friend for her party left. Astral tried to fake a smile and hold back her tears as she played with her toys. She knew her mom would be mad if she saw her crying after all of the effort she put in. Astral tried to ignore the banging noises coming from the other room. Astral tried to hold back the tears. She didn't want to upset anyone if they saw her. At her young age, she thought if you cried, you'd be given something to cry about. She didn't want any other things to cry about. Astral's tears ran down her face. She coughed and choked on her spit. Her nose was runny and she felt sick to her tummy. 

        After about an hour things settled down a bit. She stopped crying and got up to get a piece of strawberry cake with strawberry frosting. it was homemade and the frosting wasn't pretty. But it sure tasted good to little Astral! As Astral was chewing, her mom, Janus walked out of the room. She looked like she had been crying. Astral looked up and saw her mom. Mommy was crying... Her makeup is runny. Why does she have those weird bruises all over her again?  Astral thought to herself. "How is it, Babes?" Her mom sniffled and smiled as she asked.

        "It's good momma" Astral had replied munching down some more. Janus came over and took a spot next to Astral. Janus was a thin girl. She had an hourglass figure. She was in her early thirties, with long brown hair. Her hair was layered and shaggy. She had wireframed glasses that hid her eyes behind bars. They also held her tears. Astral sat with her mom. Janus stroked Astral's long brown hair that was in pigtails and gave her a pat on the head. Everything was better now... Astral had her momma.