5: YOU HAD TO LEAVE AGAIN?

— CHAPTER 5 —

I OPENED THE DOOR FOR Sydney and smiled

I OPENED THE DOOR FOR Sydney and smiled. "Hey, Syd." Sydney and I have been friends since high school. Yeah, back then it was me, Sydney, Nini and Sam. Sydney adopted Olivia when she was 25 years old, because she couldn't have kids of her own.

She was also the only one in high school who didn't judge me.

Sydney was best friends with Nini, and then when I started dating Nini, I hung out with Sydney as well. It was perfect.

Until Nini went away.

"Hey, Ricky." She made her way inside. "I have a nice song idea. I think you're gonna like it. It's kinda like a pop rock song, but I'll put it on guitar to make it sound nice."

"Pop rock song? I thought the album was gonna be more slow and subtle." I recalled.

"Well yeah, but Ricky, we're kinda fucking broke. People don't wanna listen to sad folksy music all the time. There needs to be a balance in the album. Maybe a few sad songs, and a few pop ones." She grabbed her guitar and started playing a melody on a C major.

"Now, I'm a homewrecker I'm a slut. I got death threats killin me inside out. Tell me who I am 'cause I don't got a choice. All because I liked a boy."

"You think that should be a pop rock? Okay, I have an idea. First," I took the guitar from her and gripped it, "we can put this song on a B major. Second, we can switch some lyrics up. Like maybe instead of 'Killin' me inside out' we could make it something like...'fillin up semi trucks?' And then we can do a genre change for Nonsense and because I liked a boy. We can make Nonsense a pop song and because I liked a boy a pop ballad." I replied. "So something like...I'm a homewrecker, I'm a slut. I got death threats fillin' up semitrucks. Tell me who I am, guess I don't have a choice. All because I liked a boy."

"Wait, okay, we'll do that version. Ricky, you're a really good singer. Why don't you actually become like a professional singer?" she asked.

"Sam. I can't be going out to a damn award show. I have to take care of Sam. She already has it hard without her Mom. I'd rather be behind the music than the star of the music." I replied softly.

SAM COMES FIRST.