15- Nikah Day

ZOYA

'My daughter looks absolutely stunning; Farhan is a lucky guy.' I heard my mother telling it to the nth member of the family as they saw me getting ready.

The room is alive with the lively hum of conversation and the noisy family members. As the women in my family fuss over the final details, I catch glimpses of their faces in the mirror expressions filled with love, joy, and excitement. My mom, with a bright smile, looked at me with a mixture of pride and nostalgia, perhaps recalling moments leading to all this from my childhood as she fastens the red veil over my head.

 My mom, with a bright smile, looked at me with a mixture of pride and nostalgia, perhaps recalling moments leading to all this from my childhood as she fastens the red veil over my head

'Farhan is going to be speechless when he sees you,' Amal remarks, a twinkle in her eye.

'He better be,' my mom replies with a playful smile, her hands expertly adjusting the intricate details of the bridal attire.

'Now at least we can plan our ladies only trip while being married.' Amal said with sarcasm.

'How can it be ladies only when we have husbands? Unless you propose a scheme to knock out both Salman and Farhan down then I am up for it.' I said with a smirk.

'Not my Salman, I would probably distract him with some games while we sneak out.' Amal said improvising our plan.

'I cant with you two, I am going to miss you all after this' I said as the laughter was replaced with silence.

'Will you forget me once you leave for London?' She asked suddenly, pulling me back to the reality that is happening.

'Of course, I would forget every trace of you....forever.' I said just to annoy her.

'You are lucky you are the bride right now' Amal said with warning in her voice.

'Okay girls, so what do you think of the final look?' The makeup artist asked us as I looked at her work in awe. I felt weird looking at the woman in the mirror, who looked pretty and elegant, definitely different from my basic look.

I have never really used makeup before other than a few lip balms and creams probably because I was too lazy and just went on with my natural look. Being all dolled up indeed looked too different, I do hope Farhan will not have a problem identifying me in this look, I thought with a smile.

As the makeup artist applied the final touches, I take a deep breath, absorbing the love and support that envelops me. I had always been scared of this day but strangely as I am living through it, it doesn't seem that horrid. In fact I even appear to be enjoying the fact that I am the bride and all eyes would be on me for today, it is my day; our day.

I realized that I had received a text from Farhan once I was settled in the car for travelling to the wedding hall.

Just wanted you to know that I am really excited to start this journey with you, although now we both must be assisting each other out of office, don't let the others know 😜.