Intermission: An experiment?

My eyes shot open, the forceful influence of untimely slumber no longer binding my being. It took a few seconds for my vision to stir in a clear manner, given that I'd been out for a currently incomprehensible amount of time. It even painted doubts and haphazard thoughts in mind as I surveyed my unorthodox setting.

The luminescent rays of moonlight flew in through the transparent ceiling, shedding a generous light on our surroundings.

I finally noticed —— my classmates' bodies appeared out of thin air. For a moment or two, their corporeal forms were see-through, and you could register anything behind them, even though such a feat was far removed from reality.

Cynical murmurs and exclamations could be heard all over, the multitudes finally realizing the disconnect between their previous settings and this new location. Among the ever-increasing sea of people, I could see... Arguments sprouting regarding our unique circumstances.

"We've been kidnapped, I tell you!"
"This is it! The government is gonna turn us into slaves! Just like the Holocaust!"
"What the heck? It's obvious we're in the afterlife."

A cacophonous symphony of incorrigible noises. Meanwhile, I distinctly recalled that lightning strike. Because of it, we were brought to this gigantic place; seemingly a cinema.

Suddenly, something even more shocking happened. It was an entourage of silhouettes adorned with a radiating glow, wings on their backs who were suspended mid-air with minimal effort.

Who are these people?

Then, I connected the dots. The outermost floater was the current Prime Minister of Japan —— Kijima Hiroshi. I remembered seeing him on TV a few times, so his face stuck in my mind.

But... What was his intention here? As the Prime Minister, he should be busy with duties of the office, shouldn't he?

Unless, he mysteriously attained enough free time to orchestrate this event? Also, how are they flying like that?

"Attention!" an echoing command spread through the cinema space. "Supreme Leader Kijima will address you all shortly. Kindly seat wherever you find convenient."

Consumed by the spirit of obedience, everyone, in the hopes of surviving this situation in one piece, took heed of these words.

I noticed a row of ticket machines awaiting the befuddled population, holding a certain piece of information. A queue of people had already formed, each snatching a ticket for themselves, departing briskly for their assigned seats.

As I glanced into the periphery, the sight of Maya, along with her friends, caught my attention, all perched upon the second row of crimson chairs and chattering excitedly.

'It would've been great if I was right next to her', my thoughts formed, betraying my usual temperament.

I wasn't sure if I was honestly thinking this way, or if it was self-deception. Someone like myself, who was taught to do all but let distractions hinder me, had a lot of things broken.

For one, a huge sacrifice was made to guarantee my survival within that sterile, white room —— letting my emotional expression dissipate to the point where my understanding of it was distorted.

This little experiment of mine would be crucial to my goal. Hopefully, I can come to treasure Maya.

If it does happen, it would be worth every risk taken so far.

1

Everyone was now seated. Meanwhile, I had another problem on my mind... 'Supreme Leader' Kijima.