Chapter 5

In the dead of night, when Shen Yuan was finally asleep, Luo Binghe slipped out of his room, phasing through walls and doors as if he never existed in the first place, and to most, he didn't.

Before, he'd been entirely ready to give up his very soul to let Shen Yuan live, even just a little longer. He was ready to dissipate into dust and ash.

Yet... it never happened.

Luo Binghe truely doesn't know why it hadn't happened or how so, but he finds it likely that due to the fact that he hasn't been assigned to a particular god the heavens don't know much about his actions. They'll eventually catch up and enact punishment onto him...

So he's simply decided to become invaluable.

Of course he would give up this 'life' for Shen Yuan... but he also didn't want to dissipate. As proven by their star gazing mere moments before, Shen Yuan needed someone by his side... and Luo Binghe was determined to be that person. He didn't exactly know why he was so resolute in this decision when he barely knew Shen Yuan... but every single part of him agreed on this, so he couldn't even convince himself not to do it.

Wings spread above the city of Shanghai, Luo Binghe opened his book of life and death, looking at the times and places of death for certain individuals before he began the arduous journey of collecting their souls. However, he needed to be fast. These missions weren't given to him, so there was a chance an Angel might get there before him.

He dove, heading in the direction of the most recent death.

When he walked through the dark hallways of a traditional home, Luo Binghe read the name once more before closing the book of life and death, stalking towards the newly departed.

Just as he walked into the room, the body became still on the bed, and the spirit gazed upon him with dark, unfeeling eyes.

As Luo Binghe stalked closer, anxiety curled in the throat

As Luo Binghe stalked closer, anxiety curled in the throat. The soul was still staring blankly at him, the wrinkles on its intangible body lax.

Luo Binghe grabbed it by the throat, his index finger and thumb directly over where a pulse would be, if the spirit were in a living human vessel. It was then that the older soul began to struggle, kicking out withered limbs and scratching at Luo Binghe's hands as if it needed to breathe. Luo Binghe's lip curled slightly, as he thought 'unsightly'.

 Luo Binghe's lip curled slightly, as he thought 'unsightly'