Chapter 1

"STEP BY STEP!" My alarm clock blared loudly. I had a New kids on the block alarm so I didn't mind waking up to that. What DID bother me about the mornings, though, was that I had to get up for work... I had a job at a small kiosk at the mall, selling custom made t-shirts. I earned a lot of money for it which was pretty much the only good thing about it, but everything else sucked.

I lazily kicked the blankets off of my legs and shuffled over to my closet to grab some clothes. Today, I had chosen to wear a pair of ripped acid washed jeans, and a Boston red socks jersey. Oddly enough, I loved the red socks! In fact, baseball and softball were my two favorite sports! On the weekends I played softball tournaments, and when I wasn't doing that, I was either working, listening to the new kids on the block or looking at Harley Davidson motorcycles, which was just another thing I loved! I buttoned up my jersey and left my room to the kitchen where I prepared some toast and cereal for myself, then headed to work for the day.

Now I bet you're just DYING to know which new kid is my favorite, that would be Donnie Wahlberg, somewhat known as the bad boy of the band. In my opinion, he was so hot and my one and only life goal was to meet him. I know, I know, I need more life goals, and I do but this one is the most important to me for some crazy reason. I got into my car and made my way to the mall where I would be working the kiosk for seven hours that day! It was summer so I didn't have to worry about school the next day. The drive from home to the mall was about ten minutes from where I lived, so I always had time before getting there to grab some coffee before work, and I would go to the coffee kiosk everyday for daily coffee.

"Hey Dan, just grab my usual iced coffee." I requested as soon as I had arrived. Dan was the manager, I had gone there every morning and Dan would always be waiting for me. I was a regular customer for him, so it was only natural that he knew me by my first name.

"Your usual iced coffee, Tanya. How you been this mornin'?" He asked.

"Great, feeling lucky today." I replied with a smile as I tugged a five dollar bill out of my pocket and handed it to Dan.

"Don't worry about it, Tanya, it's on the house!" He said with a smile.

"Keep it." I insisted. He took the money and smiled at me softly. He was like a second dad to me.

I walked over to my kiosk and took the sheet covering the stand off. I activated the register and sat on the stool I always sat on everyday and waited for someone to show up. The mall was busy today as usual, but no one had actually gotten a closer look at the shirts... they just walked and looked, but never bought anything. Even if I gave every person I saw a smile, they'd smile back but always kept walking.

***

Seven hours passed, and I realized it was time to shut down for the night. I covered the kiosk with the sheet again and headed home. It was three 'o clock in the afternoon, and I was starving, hoping that mom or dad had made dinner or something. When I had arrived home, I got out of the car and headed inside to see my mom, dad and sister in the living room watching television.

"Tanya, you're back!" My sister exclaimed looking away from the tv. I nodded.

"How was your day?" my mom asked.

"It was slow." I replied. She nodded.

"I bet you're hungry, why don't you go into the kitchen and grab yourself a snack." My dad offered. I nodded and grabbed a box of cheez it's from the pantry. I left the kitchen and sat on the couch next to my mom with the cheez it's still in hand.

"Actually, why don't we go out for burgers at the diner, how does that sound?" Mom asked. I shrugged my shoulders and nodded.

"Sounds good." I replied, scooting off of the couch, putting the crackers away to follow the rest of the family to the car.

***

It was late that night when we came back home from the diner. I had scarfed down two shakes, a triple decker burger and a basket of fries. After we paid the bill, we piled into the car, and we headed back home. Once I got out of the car, I took a quick shower, put my long, straight, blonde hair in a messy bun, put on a pair of shorts and a tank top and went to bed.

***

The next morning, my alarm clock blared into my ears once again, and I went through the same morning routine as yesterday. Clothes for the day, go to the kitchen for breakfast, get coffee from Dan, and then work seven hours at the kiosk. Little did I know, today was going to be a little different...

When I opened shop for the day, it took a few hours to get started as usual. Luckily, I had made a couple of sales unlike any other day, but to keep myself busy in the meantime, I was folding up some of the shirts for display and couldn't help but to notice a faint sound from the far. Unfortunately, it was becoming louder and louder by the second. Suddenly I heard someone yelling "HEY LOOK OUT!" from somewhere behind me. Before I could turn around, I was being forcefully knocked over, and I hit my head hard on the ground.

***

"Hey, are you ok?" I opened my eyes slowly and moaned holding my head as I held myself up on my elbows.

"Huh?" I looked around, and realized I was on the floor of the mall. My vision was blurry and I could barely see who was in front of me.

"Oh geez, I'm so sorry, are you all right?" The boy in front of me asked, clearly worried. I sat up completely, and waited for my vision to come back into focus, and when it did, I was more than surprised to find Donnie Wahlberg sitting right in front of me...