Chapter 1 (Layana): A Showdown

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

We used to have this running joke in college where you wait ten minutes for an assistant professor to show up to class before leaving; fifteen for an associate professor before ditching; and twenty minutes for a full professor before it's safe to leave.

But how long do you wait for a husband? I'd been waiting over an hour for my husband to arrive home to eat the beautiful meal I'd made for us to celebrate the fourth anniversary of the first day we met. Prime rib, smashed potatoes, asparagus, side salad, and a luscious dessert of chocolate lava cake. All of his favorites. I'd never thought to celebrate an anniversary of meeting someone, but that first year, when I'd seen how big of a deal he made out of it, I'd made sure to remember the date.

"Why wouldn't I celebrate the day the world shifted and I met the woman of my dreams?" Sebastian had asked me.

My husband never forgot the date, and always came home with flowers or chocolates or both, and then we shared a meal and had a couple of rounds of hot, naked...dessert.

But tonight, he hadn't walked through the door at exactly 5:48 like he always did. I'd had dinner ready to be on the table promptly at six. Now it was seven.

I called him again, but he didn't pick up. Since I was getting worried, I finally gave in and tracked his location with the app we had active on each of our phones. I got out of work late many nights and he liked to be able to track me when I left the hospital.

I looked at his location and looked again. What? That couldn't be right. He was at a restaurant not too far from our home.

Calling his phone again, I wondered if I'd forgotten some work thing he'd mentioned after hours, but I didn't think I had because the date would have registered. I texted him, but it didn't get read after it was delivered.

Then a thought struck me. Maybe he'd mentioned he wanted me to meet him at the restaurant and I'd forgotten? Worried that I'd completely blown it, I grabbed my coat and headed out, snagging the tiny bag from his chair where I'd carefully left it.

I was at the restaurant in no time. The hostess smiled at me and I took a shot in the dark.

"Reservation for Varon?"

She looked confused for a minute before her face smoothed out, then pointed toward the back.

 "Yes, ma'am. Just back there and to the left behind the fireplace."

Oh, shit. How could I have forgotten this? I must have let it totally slip my mind. I wondered how late I was as I hurried back and then stopped dead. My husband was seated across from some woman, his back to me. The two of them tapped their wine glasses together, and I heard her say with a seductive smile, "To the beginning of us. It's about time you stopped resisting me, Seb."

Really. Really? Really!

One of my superpowers, in addition to my red hot temper, was my ability to think fast. Gathering myself, I walked up to their table.

"Hi. My name's Layana and I'll be your server tonight since my husband left me waiting at home on the anniversary of not only the day we met, but now the anniversary of your beginning, too, apparently."

Sebastian's face drained of color and he started to stand but I put my hand on his chest and pushed him back down, hard. Really hard because Sebastian was the size of a small mountain.

"No, please, I don't want to interrupt your new beginning. Enjoy it because when you get home, you're going to have a huge ending. And here's a little parting gift for you."

I tossed the gift bag on his lap. Inside was something he'd been requesting for a while, so I'd bought a pregnancy test kit and put a Post It note on it: I'm ready to start trying for Baby Varon!

Then I turned and hurried away, and in seconds, before I even made it to the doors, Sebastian was calling my name from right behind me, telling me to stop.

Looking back, I probably shouldn't have picked up a half empty plate from the nearby table that was about to be bussed and thrown it at Sebastian, but I felt that was a fitting way to celebrate the day we met.

Without waiting to see if it connected, I stormed out and headed for home, ready for a showdown.

I didn't have long to wait at all. Sebastian was right behind me.

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA