Chapter 7 (Layana): A Year Ago

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

An hour after Sebastian and I had stormed off to our separate corners as if we were two prizefighters in between rounds, the man was knocking at the guest bedroom door.

"Layana. Layana, please answer. Did you take the test?"

Yes, I did.

He knocked again. "Baby, please. Let me in so we can talk this out."

No, I don't think so.

And that was because, once again, late at night, I was sitting up in the guest bedroom bed, my thoughts in a whirl because fucking Renee was texting my fucking husband on his fucking secret phone. When he'd stomped off to our bedroom, he'd left me with the phone. And about ten minutes ago, her texts to him began again.

I miss the fun we had together in college.

I thought back to the night I'd found them in a restaurant together and the...conversation? fight? that had followed.

So how long have you known her? 

I'd asked him that because they'd looked very friendly, not people meeting for the first time.

A year. 

He'd told me he'd known her a year. He hadn't even hesitated in his answer. The lie had simply flown off Sebastian's lips.

But if he'd dated Renee in college, he'd known her a lot longer than a year. He'd known her for years. Emphasis on the plural.

And then she sent a series of pictures of the two of them showing a much younger version of each of them. Sebastian had been in his long-hair phase back then, and I'd seen pictures of it at his mother's house, so I knew this was either from his freshman or sophomore year of college. His junior year, he'd gone to a much shorter cut. One picture showed them in front of a fraternity house, his arm over her shoulder. Another picture, clearly from the same night since they were both in the same clothes, was of them brandishing red Solo cups, laughing and touching their cups together as if toasting to something. And a third one of them with their arms around each other, mouths close, ready to kiss.

Remember how much ***fun*** we had together? 🥳🤩😏😉

We were so good together. 🥰

Wait until she realizes you're leaving her for me. 😂😂

Did this bitch get paid by the emoji? 

So I texted her back.

Bitch, leave me the fuck alone. I'm not leaving my wife for your skank ass.

Best decision I made was breaking up with you in college.

I took a shot with that one, wanting to see what shook out, and then pushed her more with the third text.

Not sure why I ever wasted time with a fucking whore like you.

Knock knock knock. 

I'd almost forgotten my husband was outside my door what with all the fun texts flying back and forth. 

"Layana, please open the door." Sebastian's voice was pathetically sad as he pleaded with me through the closed door.

The secret phone began ringing -- guess someone didn't like being called a whore -- and I practically ran to the door and flung it open.

"Your college girlfriend's calling. Answer it right now and put her on speaker."