Chapter 13 (Layana): Forget This Day

***TW for death by knife***

Shit like this was supposed to happen in creepy, dark basements. 

Yep. That's where my mind went for a split second when Renee walked into our living room from the hallway. Then it snapped to the more immediate problem of having a complete psychopath in our house.

A complete psychopath with a knife in her hand. One that looked exactly like the butcher knife from our set of knives.

This bitch ruined my knife set. She'd clearly been in our kitchen and probably the bedrooms if she'd come from the hallway. 

If we got out of this alive, I was going to have to Google is it normal to have random, weird thoughts when a crazy stalker pops out of the hallway in your home? And also can you spray down your entire house with bleach?

Focus, Layana. I knew it was the bubbling hysteria rising in me that kept my mind darting off on these random tangents -- anything to divert my brain from the terror engendered by this crazy bitch's appearance.

Sebastian had seen her and immediately backed away, angling himself toward the front door. I knew why. He still needed a few more steps to get it, but at least his body was hiding it.

"How'd you get in?" I asked Renee to swing her focus to me, even if momentarily.

That gained Sebastian two fast steps back.

"Does it matter?" she asked, her gaze going back to Sebastian. That left me free to start recording on my phone while she was hyperfocused on him. He saw what I was doing and bought me time.

"It actually does matter because there have been some robberies in the neighborhood," he said, "and I'd like to know where we have weaknesses in our security."

"I'll tell you later," she promised him. "Once we get rid of...her. I've been busy in the bedroom waiting for you to get home. Did you realize there wasn't one picture of us in the bedroom?"

That gave me chills. But not as much as her next statement.

"But I fixed that. The big wedding picture on your wall was the first to go."

"You touched my wedding picture?" I asked because Sebastian still wasn't quite where he needed to be.

Her attention swung back to me, and that put Sebastian one step back and the bat was within reach.

"It won't matter because soon you'll just be his dearly departed first wife."

Gosh, she was a lot of fun. 

"Sebastian and I were talking about this on the phone last night," she said, throwing an adoring glance at him. "He wants me to be the one to kill you since he doesn't have the stomach for it."

Somehow, I had a feeling she wasn't telling the truth.

"How could you, Sebastian?" I snapped at him. 

"Don't talk to him like that!" she yelled at me, turning to face me fully, allowing him to grab the bat. "Don't even look at him."

She raised the knife but Sebastian threw himself between us, his back to me, bat held in front of him, and he jabbed the end of it at her, forcing her back two steps to avoid taking a blow to her chest.

"Get my phone from my back pocket, Layana. Call the police," he said to me.

Message received. Don't stop recording on my phone. I quickly fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed 911.

"Sebastian, no," Renee begged. "You know you want to be with me, not her. I waited for you all those years."

"No, Renee. I don't want to be with you. I love my wife and I'm going to be with her," he said calmly.