035; late night

Rafe hated ninety nine percent of the pouges around Kildare island, Myra was the only exception. She was the one percent he actually liked, but of course he couldn't let anyone know that.

So there they stood, at a crossroad dividing them. Myra was more than tipsy, but not black out drunk. Rafe was riding the high of his latest cocaine haze. The world felt easy, like easy breezy lemon squeezey kind of nice. No thoughts wandered in the wrong direction and nothing felt heavy and painful, at least for a moment or so longer. The two of them were laying out in the grass by the back of Barry's trailer home, listening to the roaring party that took place inside of the old and worn down home. It was all background noise to them. Both Myra and Rafe had desperately needed some fresh air, so they had now found themselves here, too dizzy to even sit up straight.

The grass felt a little dry underneath Myra's touch, which made her think about the rain. "Rafe?" she asked, gazing up at the dark sky above them as she dragged her hands through the light green grass, back and forth. "Yeah Myra?" Rafe mumbled calmly, laying completely still on his back. "When was the last time it rained?" Myra asked lowly, blinking her ocean blue eyes profusely, "do you remember?". Rafe stopped to think for a moment, his gaze scanning over each star in his view. "No" he answered after a while, turning his head to look at Myra, "do you?". She shook her head, feeling the world spin around her, "nope"

The grass felt as if it needed the rain desperately and the trees looked like they could do with some good watering too. Myra didn't mind the rain, she actually found it soothing. The smattering sound it made upon her bedroom window as it hailed down, the puddles that would be left behind. She could play in them for hours as a young child, and the memory of joy lingered to this day. Myra had always enjoyed a day of rain, it was the storm part that she didn't like. The part that destroyed her neighborhood and left them without any electricity. The kind of heavy rain that would flood their boat and turn their roads into mudslides. The kind of rain that came with harsh winds that knocked down trees and ripped open holes in their roof. It was a natural part of living where she did, her dad had always told her that, but still it was the part of rain she could gladly do without. Just pure rain, that's what Myra actually liked. That's what she wanted.

"Can I ask you something stupid?" Myra blurted out before she could stop herself to think. Her mind was going so slow, yet a bunch of words seemed to fall out of her mouth at such a rapid speed. "Yeah" Rafe hummed slowly and gently as he laid still in the grass once more, resting his hands behind his head. His dirty blonde hair draped down onto his forehead and his ocean blue eyes scanned over the starry sky. "Are you tired?" Myra asked, which took Rafe aback slightly. He was high, yes undoubtedly so, which made everything around him slow down. It made things feel a little more confusing to him, yet that wasn't at all what he had expected her to ask. He didn't exactly know what he had expected, just that it hadn't been that. "Uhm... y-yeah, a little I suppose" Rafe answered, faintly stumbling over his words. "Not me" Myra sighed in a relaxed manner, running her fingers through the dry grass again, "I could stay like this for hours"

Rafe contemplated on whether or not Myra had some other substance than just alcohol in her system, considering the relaxed and unbothered state she was currently in. Not that she wasn't usually unbothered, she was, just not this calm and spaced out. She usually rocked a way sharper attitude towards everything and everyone. Yet he didn't ask, he deemed it unnecessary. What difference would it make? None, he thought as he continued to enjoy his own calm wave of cocaine. Myra sighed peacefully, blinking her bright eyes. She then continued to speak, her voice coming off as both gentle and certain while at the same time, "the stars, the marsh, the white noise, the grass... you"

"Me?" Rafe asked, feeling his heart skip a almost painful beat. What did she mean by that? He wasn't in a state of clarity, but he was awake enough to hear every last word of her sentence slip off of her tongue with such ease. "Isn't it just nice?" Myra asked calmly, turning her head in the dry grass to look at Rafe, "all of it?". Rafe pushed his lips together for a moment, unsure what to say. "The stars?" he asked, needing her to be more clear. She nodded faintly, her gaze flickering in between him and the dark sky above them. "And the grass?" Rafe continued, curious as ever. Myra nodded once more, patting it gently with her hands. "And uhm... the marsh?" Rafe spoke. "Mhm" Myra mumbled, sighing deeply, "I can feel its breeze in the air, it's all around us". Rafe furrowed his eyebrows slightly, unsure what she had meant by that. She could feel its breeze in the air? It made no sense. "And the white noise?" Rafe asked. "From the party, its calming you know? It reminds you that you're alive, without having to be right in it" Myra clarified like it was the most obvious thing in the world that he was bound to understand. Rafe drew in a sharp breath, releasing it as he spoke his last wondering words, "and me?"