Chapter 7

"So, do you agree, Mousepaw?"
Mousepaw was speechless. "Cloudpaw, are you crazy? We're going to end up just like Tanpaw! Or worse, dead!"

"Relax. Rogues can't hurt us. And even if they did, RiverClan-"
"And did you take into account that we would be trespassing on RiverClan territory?"
Cloudpaw paused, processing all the things in his plan that would go wrong.

"I'm not doing it. Feel free becoming either RiverClans prisoner or dead." Mousepaw snapped.
Cloudpaw simply went out of the den.
He can't be serious. Mousepaw thought. I have to stop him when he tries to do this.

...

Cloudpaw was curled up in his moss nest. Silverpelt was glowing from above, and Mousepaw was pretending to sleep, in case the white apprentice put his plan in action.

Once she closed her eyes, there was a slow pause in the den, as if everyone was asleep.
But Cloudpaw is smart. Cats don't immediately go to sleep.
More time passed. Mousepaw was starting to feel drowsy.
Maybe Cloudpaw has gotten some sense into him.

She had spoke too soon. Once the apprentice thought it was okay, she heard a scuffling noise and paws padding out.
Nice try, Cloudpaw.
Cloudpaw was already heading out of camp, Mousepaw on his heels.
By the time they had reached the heart of ShadowClan territory, the she-cat spoke up.
"Cloudpaw!"

Cloudpaw yelped and spun backwards. "Mousepaw! What are you doing here?"
"I'm here to stop you."
Cloudpaw shifted his paws. "Mousepaw, why don't you come with me?"

Mousepaw froze. Why would she ever agree to going into a rogue camp and spying on all the rogues there?
I just, what if he gets hurt? I need to be at his side.
Mousepaw winced. Was she putting herself in danger because of her loyalty to Cloudpaw?
I can't just leave him to get injured like Tanpaw or killed.

"Cloudpaw, please. Just get back to camp. I want us both alive and uninjured."
Cloudpaw snorted. "Come and stop me, then."
Then the tom took off racing to the direction of the lake.

Frightened, Mousepaw sprinted after him. I can't let him die!
When she reached the lake, Cloudpaw was already pedaling to the Gathering island. She realized that the island was a way that the apprentice could get to horseplace without having to trespass on RiverClan territory.

Frantically, Mousepaw jumped from the halfbridge into the rippling water. She tried to keep herself afloat as she went to the island.
Water splashed into the she-cat's mouth and nose.
I can't do this anymore. she thought as her head lurched under the lake's surface.

Suddenly Mousepaw found herself yowling, "Cloudpaw! Cloudpaw!" as her head started to come up. Heartbeats that felt like moons were passing, and Mousepaw was still thrashing in the water.
Then she felt another wet paw touch hers. She wanted to scream, "Cloudpaw!" but her lungs were desperate for air.

She felt herself unsheathing her claws to get hold of Cloudpaw; she immediately sheathed them back so that the white tom wouldn't let go.

Before Mousepaw knew it, both of them were at the island. Cloudpaw pulled her up. Mousepaw could sense he was having trouble, so she mustered all of her strength to climb up with him. When the apprentices met the earthy ground, Mousepaw began coughing up water onto the grass. She managed to stand up and lock eyes with Cloudpaw.

"Cloudpaw, now do you realize how dangerous this is? We haven't even met the rogues, and yet I almost died by drowning. Cloudpaw, we need to go back. Please."

Cloudpaw eyed the apprentice.
"If you almost drowned, then there's a likely chance you'll actually drown on the way back."
"But you'll help me!" Mousepaw protested.
Cloudpaw shook his head. "If you really want to get back to camp, we'll have to wait until morning."